good cheap PDA

edgemaster191

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
was wondering if anyone out there could recomend a cheap pda with a compact flash port for adding a wifi card (802.11b ) i don't usually bother with the handheld stuff but i just want something cheap i can use to surf the web at hotspots or at a friends without having to go out and buy a new laptop...if anyone has any ideas where to get a cheap one (new or used doesn't matter) as long as it can support a CF wireless network card (can get the card on newegg) any help at all would be great..
thanks
Justin

ivoryjohn

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2001
I recommend you try one before you buy one. I have a VGA pda with 640x480 screen, and it still is too small to display most websites. PDA browsers have several modes that can reformat a too large web page to make more sense on the small screen, and they can get the job done, but forget the "experience" that was intended from the web page. Flash and Java plugins are another problem.

Consider this, how many web pages don't look correct in FireFox, or Opera, or IE, but look ok in one of the others. Incompatibilities are the norm on the PDA's.

Lots of people swear by their PDA's for browsing the web at hot spots just as you want. However, I think the best approach involves a larger screen, 800x600 minimum. Some micro-mini machines (OQO maybe) can do this, but not for cheap. VGA PDA's weren't cheap when I got mine, and probably still aren't today.

I'll use mine to surf if I'm desperate, but not for long. I don't think wireless web browsing is the killer app for PDA's (yet).

Like I said, try it before you buy it.

edgemaster191

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
well..i'm not just planning on surfing the web, even little things like AIM would be nice, also just having a decent PDA for every else i can think of...i found a bunch of deals on ebay for the Dell Axim x3i with built in wireless and a bunch of other features..anyone have any thoughts on it, i don't need a brand new high end pda, just something for data entry, surf the web, chat, whatever..i'm not looking for a PC replacement...just something for on the go..like i said i will also use it as a pda of course..i just figure if i can get one with wireless it would be all the better...anyone got any thoughts on the Axim X3i lemme know...from what i can tell it looks like a good bet...and i can get em on ebay for 140 bux....
thanks everyone for the help and input

Justin

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
I don't know what your version of cheap is (reletive to anyone), but i just bought a Dell Axim x51 and love the damn thing. It runs Windows Mobile 5.0 and works well. It has wifi built in, bluetooth, CF port, SD slot also. It has a nice looking screen. I acctually browse the THG forums when im at school (sometimes even in class if im bored lol), and it works for me. Is it always easy to read? Nope but you'll get the hang of it. Battery life is fairly good too, I made it all day with medium usage and it still had 50% battery when I got home.

I acctually started with a Palm OS based PDA but Palm OS doesn't support 802.1x authentication which my University uses so i had to return it. It also seem a bit more clumsy for Internet usage but thats just me.

Edit: Forgot to say the whole deal cost me $350.

groovusj

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4532277?
can be had for 199.99 if you watch the prices over time. gps works great too.