Mobile CPU power consumption benchmark

amidan

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008
Hi All,

I have to determine the power consumption of the CPU (a part of the SOC)for a series of smart phones (e.g. Nokia, BlackBerry, Motorola and HTC). My problem is that I don't have the perfect solution to do this but and old fashion one using an amp meter to measure the current on stand-by and after that during the execution of a test software program. More specifically I must measure the power consumption for each phone while running a series of Java benchmarks (for example GrinderBench).

To obtain the measurements I searched for software that helps you measure your phone’s power consumption. For example I found: ”Nokia Energy Profiler” , which works on Nokia sets only. My problem is that for the other phones I did not find similar software applications. If anyone knows where I can find similar software for other models, please send me an email(adrian.midan@vivaja.com) or post a reply.

I also want your input and comments if I am on the right track. Is this the correct way to measure the power consumption, or you would like to suggest other methods?

Best Regards,
Adi

bpgueze

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
Hey thanks for the heads up. Right now I want to analyized power consumption of a mobile device particularly a nokia phone while transmitting compressed and non-compressed data over wireless network to determine the most power efficient method. I want to focuses on how the compression ratio or size of the file affects power consumption as well as the performance of a particular compression algorithm. Giving recommendations for transmitting data over wireless network.

Any material you can email me at bpgueze@hotmail.com