Are you going to wait for next-gen iPad ?

jpishgar

VP, Global Community
Jan 5, 2010
I got my iPhone 3G literally a day or two before the iPhone 3GS came out. Luckily, AT&T honored the exchange for the later model. Not so sure if I'd be as lucky with the iPad.

As a gadget, it very much interests me - the interface is sleek and intuitive, but I'm still not sold on the ergonomics of the thing. Right after its launch, I saw a funny pic circulating Facebook of a guy sitting in a diner using his MacBook at an acute angle to prop up an iPad he was using. Who knows, maybe the 2nd generation will have some kind of built-in kickstand?

TheGreatGrapeApe

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
Why would I buy an iPad when I already own a better Tablet? :evil:

I'll probably end up with one in my possession for free anyways (although I'm in no rush), but I'll use it 'til I master it and then dump it to someone else.

I'm far more interested in the Android tablet options I've seen. I almost bought and Archos 5 Android, and that interested me more than the iPad.

My only interest in the iPad is to see how well they do eBooks & magazines, etc. and I expect Google to follow right along (perhaps with a strategic partnership with Amazon).

But in the end I'm still more interested in get an 11 inch 1280x800 replacement for my ASUS in the fall, something with a dual core Atom or else more powerful processor (either intel or maybe AMD Llano) to really work at a tablet that can make more use of the stylus in a CintiQ kind of way in CS5.

TheGreatGrapeApe

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
Depends on your needs, capacitive is good for swipping and speed, but not accuracy where a good resistive screen is what makes a good traditional tablet, for something like a CyntiQ it makes a difference. This new entry from Apple is like a big iPod Touch, which for many people is exactly what they are looking for. I want a little more, and if I can get 1024 level of pressure sensitivity like the graphics tablets, I would be very happy, iPad can't do that, and my ASUS is only 256 right now and that's a bit generous IMO.

You have to understand I've been in this market since the Fujitsu Stylistic 1200 days, and been in the laptop market since the IBM convertible, and my first notebook the PS/2 Model 30 Note. So really none of this is new or exciting to me, just like the iPod Touch & iPhone were long after other more ground breaking devices. The iPhone & iPad appeal to people who think Apple invented this segment (as if the far more visible Crunchpad wasn't rocking the boat of cheap consumer-oriented tablets long before this [to me the iPad is a Crunchpad with the Apple OS]). I'm not one of those people, I'm mfr agnostic, but solution specific, which is why I've been here in the market long before most knew it existed.

iPad is a nice evolution of Apple's standard appliance-based product line, it will sell a boat-load, many services will be designed around it, and it will spark development in areas that hadn't considered this segment.... BUT, it's currently less than I already have which is already ready to be replaced by better units coming in the fall or more expensive units available from Lenovo et al.

TheGreatGrapeApe

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
Yeah that's the biggest achilles heal of the Win platforms, the interface. There are improvements, but just like WinMo 6.x it's just not designed for touch screen so much as tacked on.

Give me the Android or OSX-phone on this Lenovo;
http://www.lenovo.com/shop/americas/content/pdf/notebooks/ThinkPad/X-Series%20Tablet/X201t%20ThinkPad%20Tablet%20Datasheet.pdf

with the added boot option of Win7 and Linux, and we have something I'd spend many multiples of the price of an iPad for.

I just also want: DisplayPort, eSATA, USB 3.0, and of course the thing that goes "Bing !!"

Nope. I see no need to buy such a device right now. Got my Kindle to read books. Games are nice I suppose, but if I wanted to play games on the go, then I can simply do that on my Droid.
If I wanted to play games at home, then I got my computer.

High price coupled with no memory expansion and dishing out money for another data is a no go for me.

assassinraptor

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
I am thinking about saving up the money for one, but I don't know if I want to buy it since its really just a enlarged iPod touch. I might wait for the the HP tablet or whatever its called.