Unexpected Froyo Clock behavior

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
This does not likely qualify as a bug per se but I have run across some rather unusual behavior in the new clock app in Froyo. If I open the clock app and then lock my phone by pressing the power button (Moto Droid 1 BTW) the phone screen goes off and the phone is locked. Normal so far. But when I press the lock/power button again to turn it on, the phone reverts to the running app. I don't have to slide the unlock bar that normally appears.
I wondered if this might present a security issue so I turned on a lock pattern and tried again. Same thing, press unlock/power and there is the app! Except when I try to click any buttons or do anything else I have to unlock the phone. Just weird... anyone else have thoughts on this?

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
The only advantage I can see is that the newer clock is prettier and shows weather etc, stuff that the regular lock screen does not. However, no one would know of this 'feature' unless they stumbled upon it as did I. And second, this only works if you open the clock and then lock your phone. If this is a feature, then there should be an option to make this the default lock screen, no?

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
I forgot to mention that if you don't have your phone password protected with a pin, alpha pass, or pattern then leaving the clock running when you lock your phone can result in unintended dialing or running of other applications while the phone is in your pocket.

This is true. If it were in fact a feature, it probably would have been advertised or discussed somewhere, i.e. the manual. Have you taken a look around the Android support forums? Someone there may have stumbled upon the issue as well.

http://androidsupportforum.com/

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
I have yet to come across any posts in any android forums which bring up this particular issue. Most people had a hard enough time figuring out what happened to their alarm clock in the first place and I would imagine that most people probably don't lock their phone while running the clock.

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
The only reason it might be annoying is because when you pick up the droid running Froyo from the dock (if you have one, and I do) it leaves the phone in the clock app. Before I had noticed this issue I would just push the lock button and put in my pocket. But then the random and unintended calls began. I don't have a password or pattern setup so this meant big problem for me. To resolve it I just make sure to back out of the clock before putting back into my pocket now.