How long does a cellphone battery last if unused?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickzor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
I know this is an uncommon question, but i would like to know how long would a shinny new cellphone battery last if unused in its original box for years or even decades?

It's hard to tell since it was never used, it was never charged therefore it should be able to last for ages.

In the other hand it's juices could eventually dry...

I don't really know much about batteries, so thanks in advance!

Cellphone batteries are like any other kind of battery, which means that if they go unused for quite sometime, they will eventually lose their ability to hold a charge. For example, if you have ever looked at the package of everyday batteries like Duracell's, etc..., you'll notice that they have an expiration date on them. Usually though the expiration date is quite a few years away, so in theory, they could still work 10 years later.

rickzor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007

Thank you for replying.
Just one last question, what will happen if such old battery way beyond its expiration date is plugged into a cellphone and charger? Might it simply not work or could it leak or even explode?

It can be hard to tell. You would figure that the acid within it has been weakened over time. However, the acid is still probably quite potent and the metal/plastic keeping it at bay could have been weakened over time as well, which when given a charge, could cause a bit of a messy situation.

If you are looking to test an old phone and want to spend a bit of money, take a look around the net for a more modern battery that is compatible with the phone to play it safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.