Sign in with
Your question

Connect scanner to cell phone

Last response: in Cell Phone General Discussion
October 12, 2010 10:37:50 AM

Hello, is there any possibility to connect a business card scanner to a SmartPhone using USB cable?
October 12, 2010 6:10:40 PM

I need to somehow connect a Business card scanner to a Smartphone, may be Android/Windows/Symbian based. I need a 300+ dpi scan, so the quality achieved by a Cellphone camera is not good enough(in terms of pixels it may be enough, but a lot depends on the light quality when the pic is clicked, a steady hand, etc). It is required for field salesforce automation, where my sales team requires to scan a Business card & transmit it to the server immediately thru 3G.
The closest I could find was this-
http://www.planon.com/products/docupen/xseries
The cost is on the higher side, a business card scanner that connects to a PC thru USB costs $100+ but this one is nearly $300.
Anyone can suggest a way around? (other than all those smartphone apps which can run OCR on pics of business cards & add info to phonebook).
m
l
Related resources
October 12, 2010 6:12:46 PM

Just like there is PictBridge for connecting Mobiles/Cameras to a printer without the need for a PC, is there something similar for Scanners as well?
m
l
October 12, 2010 8:09:56 PM

You would think that it would be possible to do so via a mini-USB to USB adapter so you could actually connect the two. However, I don't think the phone would recognize the scanner simply because a lack of driver support for the mobile OS.
m
l
October 14, 2010 7:23:00 PM

Ya it is obvious that the Mobile would not recognize the scanner because of lack of driver support. My doubt is whether it is possible, atleast theoretically to establish a connection between the two, for example by creating drivers(I am not sure how difficult a task that is, but speaking theoretically). Or is there some other way of achieving similar results? Any ideas?
m
l
Tom’s guide in the world
  • Germany
  • France
  • Italy
  • Ireland
  • UK
Follow Tom’s guide
Subscribe to our newsletter