Need new smartphone

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
So I recently took my phone along for a swim, and needless to say I need a new phone. I have decided that it's time to dive into the higher end phones and get a smartphone. I have ATT so I will also have to pay for the data service. There are three phones that I am looking at...

Apple iphone 4 (iOS)
http://reviews.cnet.com/iphone-4-review?tag=rvwBody

Samsung Focus (Windows Phone 7)
http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/samsung-focus-at-t/4505-6452_7-34195352.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody;1r

Samsung Captivate (Android)
http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/samsung-captivate-review

I am open to other phone suggestions, but I would like for them to be around the same tier of phone as these others. Also, I am NOT looking to switch providers. I am on a family plan and will be for at least another 1.5 years, so I will be sticking with ATT.

Also, I have to say that I am already a bit partial towards the iphone. Not because I think it is superior, but because I have already made a sizable investment in apps for my ipod touch that I could transfer to the new phone. But if there is something that absolutely destroys the iphone and its app store, I would really like to know about it. I'm not too current as far as phones go so I'm a bit out of the loop here. I don't really like supporting Apple, but I am going to buy what works best for me for the money.

Thanks!

Solution
If you hate iPhone that much,then don't buy it :)
Anyway,between the choices given,my vote goes for iPhone 4 because of 4 reasons
1)Best OS in terms of usage and fluidness
2)Best app store
3)Best display(in terms of resolution and viewing angles)
4)Best battery life

If you don't care about these 4 features, then go with either Focus or Captivate.Depends on what OS you prefer more.
If you hate iPhone that much,then don't buy it :)
Anyway,between the choices given,my vote goes for iPhone 4 because of 4 reasons
1)Best OS in terms of usage and fluidness
2)Best app store
3)Best display(in terms of resolution and viewing angles)
4)Best battery life

If you don't care about these 4 features, then go with either Focus or Captivate.Depends on what OS you prefer more.

Solution

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009

Thanks for the reply.

It's not that I hate the iphone. I have an ipod touch 3rd gen and love it, so I know that I would like the iphone's OS. I just don't really care for apple all that much, especially the way they handled the whole antenna issue with the iphone 4.

I will agree that I think the Apple app store is better than the others as of right now. Because of this and the fact that I have already spent a good chunk of change on Apple apps, I was leaning towards the iphone. But I know a lot of people on this site prefer android and I wanted to hear their thoughts.

Any other input?

Perhaps take a look at some phones equipped with WP7, as their app store is expanding fairly rapidly, i.e. I think it is around 5k apps at this point. If you can't find any that you like, I'd go with the iPhone. I'm in the same boat as you in the sense that I am not exactly the world's biggest Apple fan, however, I've tried out some friends' iPhone 4's and they are pretty awesome.

The reason some people prefer Android is because it's more customizable than iOS but is less responsive/fluid.
As for antenna,well It's really not a big deal.You only may run into dropped calls in areas with low network coverage(if you hold the right corner of the phone).Aside from that,you shouldn't experience any dropped calls.