Acer n300 user groups

G

Hi,

can anyone out there help me in any way with using the n300 (n311) with digital imaging devices such as: Webcams, Digital Cameras and Video Surveillence Cameras.

In addition, any control projects using this device especially those related to using GPS as the positional reference.

Finally, the interfacing od the n311 with WiFi networks as I cannot seem to find any information at all for this device - in fact, Acer has simply abandoned these PDA's as far as support is considered. A fact that is both mean and deplorable. They where kind enough to take my money for a further two devices around two months before dropping all support for them.

Anyway, enough of that! Any help directly or with links to good sites and Forums would be most helpful as I am quite new to this area of interest.

Yours hopefully,

John Barton Wood.

Retired engineer with grandchildren needing support in optical, imaging and Lego projects.

Leeds, U.K.

bartonwood

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011

Hi,

please excuse the delay in replying but I have recently undergone surgery on both my back and my shoulder and have had other things on my mind.

The short answer is, not particularly.

As I said, I am interested in connecting to imaging devices mainly. However, the n300 pdas can act as a USB host and, therefore, connect to any client USB device - it is just a matter of having the correct drivers for those devices so that they will work with WM5. The same goes for BlueTooth. Of course, this could include Web Cams, DVR's and GPS receivers not to mention keyboards, microcontrollers and anything with acting as a USB client (also including printers, plotters and scanners).

I am also interested in robotics, radio controlled aircraft and UAV's, astronomy and making intelligent devices using Lego as the building resource. I should also like any information on upgrading the OS to WM6 and, if possible, USB1.1 to USB 2.0.

I was hoping that others may have already been working in these areas and had, perhaps, published their results on websites such as this. If there are others with a similar interests list then I would be grateful for links to such information.
As I said previously about Acer: they simply abandoned ALL support for this device without warning shortly after taking my hard-earned money for two of these units with documentation that promised worldwide warranty and service whilst, obviously, in the process of abandoning it completely

Regards,

John Barton Wood

Sorry to hear about your back/shoulder issues. My father has a bad back and needless to say, it isn't pleasant, so I feel for you. Hopefully you are recovering well.

I deleted your e-mail to save you the trouble of having to deal with spam. We get a fair amount of spammers on the forums/sites and they are always on the lookout for new targets, hence why I deleted it.

Anyways, onto your question. I'm not too familiar with what you want to do in regard to robotics, but in regard to connecting to the imaging devices you mentioned, I do not think it is possible using such an outdated OS like WM5. There maybe some hardware deficiencies as well with it. I do know that the iPhone can control small robots and such via Bluetooth. Your best bet would be to research the iPhone and the Android based devices to see what they are capable of in this regard and if they can connect to newer imaging devices through bluetooth or even via their wireless connections (wifi).