HOW TO TRANSFER PICS FROM DE-ACTIVATED CELL PHONE ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

richbob13

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
Hello,
I found my old de-activated cell phone, still takes a charge and powers up, so I can look at the pics on it.I'm hoping to find a way to transfer pics to a PC some how, but I'm not tech savvy. The phone is a Sony-Ericsson Z500a, and was through Cingular. It has a Gemplus 64K smartchip simcard (de-activated of course) but I guess the pics are stored in the memory of the phone itself.Any help in this would make you my hero!
Thanks, Rich in Iowa.

SO long as the phone turns on, you should be able to get the pics and whatever else you want off of it. If it has a mini USB port on it you can take a look around for a cord or just buy one for a few bucks so you can rig it to your PC. From there the PC should see it as a storage device of sorts and you should be able to browse/retrieve all of the photos.

richbob13

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011

Hi, and thanks for the message and suggestions.
I actually did get a cord (as you mentioned) a while back that connects the cell to the usb port on the pc, but nothing happens when they're hooked up... I expected a window with options to open up or something. I've looked up help topics, etc., concerning AutoPlay settings, and tinkering with the "Import Pictures and Videos" dialog box, but nothing will even acknowledge that there is a device (the cell) hooked up to the pc.
We live in rural Iowa (moved here from Oregon 3+ years ago, talk about culture shock), so I may just end up venturing to an AT+T store in Des Moines with the cell and cord and all that and see if there's something they can do.
Appreciate the help, and if you think of somrthing else I can try, please let me know!

All the best, Rich.

Richard_nixon

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
There is probably somthing in the phone menus about PC connection, or mass storage device. That has to be turned on usually before the computer will see it when its plugged in.

richbob13

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011

Actually, all the answers were good, my biggest problem here was probably the age of the phone, and lack of modern features. My last try before going to the mfr.'s support team was to go to my CURRENT cell provider (US Cellular) with my problem...they were able to hook up my old de-activated phone from Cingular to my current phone, load all my pics to it, which then had to be manually transferred to the chip in it, which allowed the pics to then be loaded into my PC.(whew!) The customer service rep at US Cellular spent a couple of hours with me on this, so I bought a new phone too. Thanks to all of you, I'd been stumped over this for the last couple of years.

All the best,
Rich.

canadianwannabe

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
I think Richbob,s suggestion is the only real option especially with an old phone. However, my current phone service is with SmartTalk, aka TracPhone Wireless. Do they have storefronts with human tech support? I think i'm out of luck.

OpalDeserter

Estimable
May 11, 2014

I'm going to assume you got this problem fixed. But this is for others who may come along. What I did for my phone which is a droid Razr Maxx is this: 1. Go to apps,
2. find 'files' in the files folder select "internal storage" then,
3. go to the folder that has "dcim" that is the one that contains all the pictures.
4. Once there, select all pictures.
5. Go back to the file screen and select "SD Card"
6. select "move"

I contacted my support team and those were the steps I was told to follow and it worked out great! Keep in mind however this is just for if you have an SD card inside the phone. If you don't have one I'm sure you can get one. ^^ That's what I did, then I just put the SD card in my new phone once I had everything on it already. Hope this helps for anyone else facing this problem! It should be roughly the same steps for other droid phones. Good Luck!

jeaniej

Estimable
Jun 8, 2014

I found mass storage on my old phone under the "tools". But then it said the "card" was not plugged in. (I have a usb cable that works)

dohara

Estimable
Nov 16, 2014

wmc1970

Estimable
Jan 3, 2015
You may be able to use WiFi to send to the new. Phone or computer and download to your phone. Or googlr ask. Google hoe to transfer photo from old android they are very resourcef or check with old service provider ask if they will assist

AmDudley

Estimable
Mar 26, 2015
Don't know if you ever figured this out, but if both your new device and old device have Bluetooth you can connect them and send each picture to the new device that way.

bumknee

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016
I have this same problem with my inexpensive flip phone. I was wondering why I can't take a pic and simply plug it in via USB, ...device found, driver found, etc. But no, can't do it. I started wondering why it's made hard to do, if you do find a way. Does it make sense that some cell phone companies make some phones that don't allow downloading directly to a computer because they don't make money that way? They only make money if you use up your minutes sending pictures via cell phone towers, from phone to phone or from phone to cell tower to computer. But they don't make money if you download pics from your phone directly to your computer and then email the picture. I can't find this theory anywhere on the internet but doesn't it sound plausible? It may be an answer to "part" of the problem(?)

Status
Not open for further replies.