AMOLED screens

soulfringe

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
I'm in the market for a new phone. I am thinking I want to wait for the Evo3D, despite having to wait until summer and wanting a new phone now.

But I question if it's what I am really going to want. Basing from my experience with my G1 and using a friends evo4g in broad daylight, hate the lcd screens. Barely visible, if at all, in daylight. AMOLED though supposedly is quite visible in under the suns lighting. Can anyone vouch for the validity of this?

This may sway me into breaking down now and getting either an Epic 4g or Nexus S.

Actually AMOLED screens(not Super AMOLED) are worse than LCD screens under direct sunlight.
For example,between HTC Desire(AMOLED) and iPhone 4(IPS LCD), the latter is much better in direct sunlight.
However, EVO 4G is different.It has a LCD screen(no IPS or SLCD) and is one of the worst phones in direct sunlight(still better than AMOLED though)
And finally,most new phones use SLCD,which does better than AMOLED in sunlight
http://blog.gsmarena.com/htc-desire-with-s-lcd-screen-meets-one-with-amoled-they-go-head-to-head/

mrjellybean

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
If I were you I would wait for the Samsung Galaxy S II which is supposed to be released in Q3 for both At&T and Verizon. 1.2 Ghz Dual Core processor, 1GB RAM, Super AMOLED Plus screen with full 1080P video.

visability in bright light is also tied to how reflective your screen is, how bright you have your backlight set at and what you are trying to view.

they make screen protectors that cut down on glare. i don't care for them at all but they do exist.

with backlighting at 100% things will be a little easier to see than at lets say 20%. this would chew up more battery though so i have a button to swap levels.

for me black text on a white background is the easiest to read on my amoled screen. since i use a glossy screen it can be a little hard to read in the sun but overall it hasn't been too much trouble.

i'm using a droid incredible with invisible shield. backlighting for me is normally at only 20%, i swap to 100% for short intervals like when outside in bright lights. even with a white desktop background my screens power usage usually doesnt top 10%