IPad Alternatives

poproks

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
The thread title is pretty much self-explanatory... Got any suggestions? Anyone? I am thinking about the Acer Iconia A500, but anything else? I would like only wi-fi, not 3G or 4G. Something around $400, too.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I just picked up an Iconia A500. It's a cool machine, but I can't get it on my corporate network out of the box. The thing that really sucks is the iPad, for God's sake, are the only non-windows-based tablets that come WPA-EAP ready.

Supposedly there are ways to get around this with Android machines, but you have to root the device in order to do so (anyone please let me know if there's a way to do so without "rooting"? I would really appreciate if you let me know). Our company is currently going through testing tablets to come up with a standard distribution and it's sad that the Android OSs, including the Xoom's, aren't coming equipped to connect to corporate networks using WPA or WPA2 - EAP.

Corporations use the same security and encryption as the larger universities out there. All over the forums, college kids are complaining because they can't get on the web with these android phones and tablets through wi-fi (not 3 or 4G) so they have to rely on usage through data plans.

I'm seriously having to consider telling my colleagues the iPad is our only option???! Gee-zus!!!? Get with it Google?!!!

On the other hand, the Iconia hooks up to any home network, no problem. I am forcing myself to get used to a tablet since the whole world of technology seems to be heading in that direction.

I like how you can buy apps for this thing from multiple sources rather than being stuck in a single marketplace for doing business. The cameras on the A500 are also better than most in the price range as well. So far I like it at home.

Google needs to do something about providing corporate network connectivity out of the box though. If and when they do that with their tablets and upcoming Chromebooks, I think we'll be seeing a real shift in PC marketshare away from microsoft. The Android OS is simple to use and on most phones.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
@Janet55: The Iconia A500 is indeed a tablet.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Update: There's supposed to be an update to Android, but as I learn more about my Iconia, the closer I get to wanting to return/sell it.

You can't run Netflix on Android, but you can adjust your instant queue (BFD!?).

Skype is available for Android, but causes the Iconia to reboot. Is this a Honeycomb issue?

Anyhow, I would almost advise anyone looking at getting a tablet to wait a year or two until they get the kinks out of these things, otherwise set your bar low.

Android is not ready for prime time.

The iPad only allows you to shop at one store. There's no competition.

Tablets are just not there yet.