Freeserve account deleted by orange

robbydisco

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
orange say they have deleted my old freeserve account and i have lost all contacts etc. Is there any way of retrieval?

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

Orange bought out Freeserve some years back so if you've been paying another ISP, it's not too surprising they've deleted it after all this time.

How did you used to access e-mail back then? If you used Outlook or Outlook Express, the Contacts should still be available to you. If you used webmail - accessed through Internet Explorer - there's no way of getting them back.

robbydisco

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
Thanks for your response. It's my brother that has the problem but I thought I'd help him out by accessing the mental might of the forum! He has been using the freeserve address for many years (after assurances by Orange that he could continue to use it with no problem) and all's been fine up until last week when he lost all e-mails. He contacted Orange help (in India I believe!) who said there was a server problem they were working on and to give it "a couple of days". Two days later got the same response, then was told "the account has been eliminated, it's gone". All his business contacts from years past and his web site used that freeserve address so it's pretty devestating for him. I suppose I had a forlorn hope that eliminated stuff was still there somewhere and could be retrieved by some means or other. Looks like he's screwed thugh, eh?

RobertBR

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
Hi robbydisco, I also have an old freeserve dial up account with orange & am in the sam situation where the helpdesk in India is not able to help but they are aware of the problem. Like your brother, I have bben told to wait & see if they can do anything. I too have no way of accessing my contacts to advise them of an alternative account.