IPhone frustrations + should I switch to Android?

Graemewp

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
So I've had an iPhone for the past 5 years or so, and been very happy with it. Currently have a 3GS with the latest iOS installed.

I don't have many apps at all, just one page worth, but I have a few complaints. Firstly, the phone constantly drops out of signal range. The only way I can get it back is by rebooting, then I get full signal. I'm in the middle of the city in Melbourne Australia.

Secondly, the phone regularly reboots itself mid-call within 5 minutes of speaking to someone. This happens in every single call, and makes it practically useless.

Thirdly, the phone regularly becomes laggy and buggy to the point of unusability.

I also don't like how much Apple restricts what you can do with YOUR phone. I know it's all about quality control but I'm kinda sick of it. Which is why I'm considering the Samsung Galaxy S2 or HTC Desire or something along those lines.

Now, my question is: are those Android phones really superior to the iPhone? In what ways? Any other people who've switched from iPhone and their comments?

All of your problems seem like a hardware failure,so the best thing is to get to an Apple store near you
If you jailbreak your phone,you can have access to more tweaks but still the overall OS isn't as customizable as Android(iOS 5 really helps though with the notification improvements)
Anyway,a phone like S2 is currently one of the best Android phones and with Android,you have lots of more options to customize your phone along with live multitasking ability but overall,iOS is more polished(currently) and has a much better app store;furthermore,no Android phone comes close to iPhone4's battery life

Graemewp

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Hmm ok thanks for that info. I might go into a phone store and try out a couple handsets. Any recommendations? I've seen the Desire and Galaxy, anything else comparable?

leonkennedy_7

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
before you make a purchase have you tried doing any resets or changes on iphone. in most cases the RESET ALL SETTINGS option helps also you can download apps from itunes (try SYSTEM) to monitor the running processes and ram size. managing this should help you get rid of lags and lock ups.

leonkennedy_7

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
if you have already made up your mind the link below should help you compare between androids easily.you can replace the handsets and try any combinations.
beware though migration from IOS to android can be full of surprises so be sure to have hands on experience at stores before you actually buy an android. new hutchison vodafone alliance in Australia has some of the best androids available in market.

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=3621&idPhone2=3875

CompTIA_Rep

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
First, if you swtich to android, get a phone worth using. A cheaper android with cheaper hardware is not going to give you a shiny new experience.

Second, as a long time user of android and iOS, I find that android has equal stability issues. On any handset I have owned for a good period of time, the system will become bogged down if you use it to its full potential (aka widgets, running services, lots of apps). But it is manageable.
The OS response is less then iOS which is annoying. Its only very slight, but enough to tweak me. You may not care though.

And Apps. iOS apps are far superior. There are times I'd trade a walled garden for quality apps on the android store. However, I am glad to have a open market with lots of tools that are useful.

*Try it out* easy as that.