Cell Phone Dilemma

timothy2180

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
Hey

So, my Motorola Droid is somewhat broken to the point that I do not want to use it anymore, and I really do not want to spend the mandatory $30 a month for the data plan with that phone. Also, I don't want to spend $100-800 on a new phone from Verizon.

I am very much naive about the unlocked phone market, but I found some online. If I buy a used unlocked phone, will I be able to use it on Verizon? Does it matter if it is GSM, dual-band? Anything? Should I be able to use nearly any phone? Also, which cell phone technology would be compatible with most/all providers? I think I remember CDMA being Verizon exclusive? Maybe that is wrong.

Also, I am currently on a contract. I have it suspended right now because I am deployed(US Military). We go back soon though, and I will need to reactivate. Would I have any problems saying something along the lines of "I am back in the US and want to resume my contract but my smart phone is no longer usable so I am switching to a basic phone, and want my data plan cancelled."

One last question. I am up for an upgrade around January. Is there any way to get some benefit out of Verizon without buying a new phone? Lets say I am happy with whatever unlocked phone I get. Can I tell them I want them to give me a cheaper deal on monthly service instead of the "new every two" perk?

Thanks much!

Solution
the unlocked phone market is for sim-card enabled phones only if i remember correctly since you can swap in your active sim card in said phones. that said, verizon doesnt use sim cards so this wont help you.

if all you want is a temporary phone until your contract time is up (for the new every 2) then you should be able to pick up a basic phone for less than $100. don't expect a deep discount unless you're up for the n-e-2 deal as this "discount price" is in reality all included in your plan pricing.

that said, you can buy refurbished phones from verizon which they will activate for you legally. they are normally at least 25% cheaper or more than regular phones.
the unlocked phone market is for sim-card enabled phones only if i remember correctly since you can swap in your active sim card in said phones. that said, verizon doesnt use sim cards so this wont help you.

if all you want is a temporary phone until your contract time is up (for the new every 2) then you should be able to pick up a basic phone for less than $100. don't expect a deep discount unless you're up for the n-e-2 deal as this "discount price" is in reality all included in your plan pricing.

that said, you can buy refurbished phones from verizon which they will activate for you legally. they are normally at least 25% cheaper or more than regular phones.

Solution