Verizon phone like BB Torch?

CallsignZero

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
I have a Blackberry Torch, I like the features that it boasts and just about everything about it but I hate that it's AT&T. I was wondering if anyone knew of a phone or had a suggestion of one that was most like it. After hearing that Google recently bought Motorola I'd like a Motorola phone (to add support, I love Google). I also need it to be supported by Verizon.

Things that I like about the BB Torch:
-Slide out keyboard
-'Number pad' section by holding alt
-Lots of alt functions
-Raised keys
-Space bar placement (doesn't barge between 'v' and 'b' keys)
-3.2" Touch screen
-User interface and texting interface
-Flashlight apps that take advantage of its ridiculously bright flash
-Zooming in and out with browsers
-Wi-fi (Necessary as I don't want to kill my data usage and have little patience waiting for 3G load times)
-Range of apps
-Trackmouse on front
-Can access eBay and get notifications and add things to calendar very well

Things I don't like about the BB Torch:
-Easily hit lock key (Replaced with app)
-Might be fragile (Is fine so far though)
-Occasionally locks up (Is tolerable, sucks when I lose an eBay snipe because of it)
-Having to confirm a lot of actions with Blackberry account and typing a password
-Touchscreen keyboard (I use the slide out one completely because of this)
-IT'S AT&T (Must be different, I hate AT&T and my local area is Verizon)
-Low battery time (I blame my constant use of Wi-fi. I don't mind charging it often)
-Clunky desktop app

Needs:
-Slide out physical keyboard
-Approx. 3" touch screen
-Wi-fi
-Verizon

Doesn't need:
-HUGE screen like the Droids
-Light weight (thick is okay and durable)
-Small size (as long as it fits in a pocket or holster easy enough)
-4G (because I don't understand it and 3g/wi-fi work fine)
-Any sort of music or video thing (I have an MP3 player for that)

I've been looking at the Android phones and found a few that looked okay. But I'm not completely sure what I want yet and I'm not completely savvy on these sort of things (but I'm trying to learn!).

Thanks in advance!

most droids arent as large as the X. in fact the one i own (droid incredible) can easily fit into my pocket while remaining large enough to actually view webpages, emails, etcetera.

i'm not a fan of how the original droid keyboards were built so i got a touch-keyboard only phone. the quality was not up to par (but maybe now it is, go to a store and check). personally the touchkeyboard i have installed (not stock one) works perfectly for me as it is an exact replica of a pc keyboard.

you might want to have a look at verizons website as they list all the phones they sell.

i'd just like to let you know that in a few months the new dualcore android phones are coming to vzw which might be worth looking into.

as for the phones costing alot: if you're a new customer you will probably get a new every 2 discount (and be hit up for mad termination fees at att!) so keep this in mind. i've never paid retail for a phone (most i've ever paid was like $200 for a $600 phone)

CallsignZero

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
The Blackberry Torch is actually a work phone, I'm looking for a personal one. (So no worries about termination fees =] ). I could try to get used to a touch keyboard I guess. Seems to be the trend going from physical to virtual keyboards. I'll keep an eye out for the new one.
Looked at the site to determine Droid 2/3.
What's this every 2 discount?

about the keyboards: some people do love the slide out keyboards (i know my best bud does) but personally i like having a keyboard that i can customize with an app (i use hackers keyboard, other people use swype). granted if you have a slide out keyboard model you can use a virtual keyboard also so you arent limited to just the hardware version. its all about what you like: just make sure you play with the keyboards in a store for awhile to make sure you like them.

i'm waiting for the new dualcore phones to come out myself. i have the droid incredible (theres a version 2 out now) and its an overall good single-core phone. i'd like just a bit more oomph.. (and i've heard the new cpu dualcores eat less battery!). the main deciding factor on whether i upgrade full price will be whether or not any of the new phones coming out are global. i'm planning a trip and a global phone would definitely be in my best interest.

typical plans at vzw are two year contracts. the contract will auto-renew if you do not make any changes but no matter what you will accumulate a credit for a discount on a new phone. if you want to get technical the "discount price" is taken out of the profits they make on your account which i'll bet is quite substantial. since prices are static no matter how old your phone is you might as well get a new phone every time it comes up. i think every cellular provider has a deal something like this.

its been at least 5 years since i first signed on with vzw but if i remember correctly since you are signing a new 2 year agreement you will get the reduced price on a phone. any additional discounts such as mail in rebates, sales, etc are in addition to such discounts. i believe that by buying a phone on their website you can also save a little bit more but you'd have to factor in shipping.

heres a link stating some up and coming verizon phones. i believe some are already out (such as the incredible2):

http://androidandme.com/2011/03/carriers/a-closer-look-at-verizons-upcoming-onslaught-of-android-phones/

inshead

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
I used to work as a Verizon Tech Coordinator but it hasnt been since April. If I remember correctly, the 'every 2 discount' you seem to be referring to is a New Every 2 program. It basically means that you get a discount towards your new phone based on your plan. I believe it was $30-$50 discounts but as I remember they had quit the program back in January but if you havent upgraded in awhile, you should still be eligible.

nice try but i used the new every two discount AFTER january. the discount is still viable and is even applied to the prices shown on their website.

the discount you get when you first sign up isn't exactly a new every two deal but i believe it was the same discount amount.

inshead

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008

I did say it should still be available.