Got Motorola Droid Bionic Today

clonazepam

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
Android 2.3.4

Never had a smartphone before... limited experience with an android tablet, transformer, I bought as a gift for someone. I'm already worried about battery life but I need to add those quick toggles to turn off the wifi. At least I can charge it when its connected to the pc.

I'm looking for the best games in any given category, free, and not free.

Best racing?

RPG?

Space (freespace 2 ish)?

Side scrolling shooter?

Side scrolling action (SMBros type)?

Mrwirez

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
Do you like the phone? It is supposed to be awesome.. Android does have a learning curve, you WILL get it.

Here are some of the best places to learn about rooting, roms, battery saving, etc..
-Droidforums
-Android forums
-Rootzwiki
-XDAdevelopers
-Cyanogenmod

just google each one..

clonazepam

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
I'm used to basic phones so far right now, I'm still just getting used to how huge it seems. Yeah so far I like it a lot not that I have anything for comparison though. I still have to get out away from these power lines to really see how the connection is. Verizon's really great if you get the right phone. Every LG I've known dropped every call but the Samsungs and Motorolas have been night/day difference from that and solid. Only been 24 hrs so far, mostly been just transferring the music to the card. I thought it was nice that it came with a 16GB microSD, but that'll have to get upgraded soon. So far, so good.

android has its own quirks as all os do but the difference between a smartphone and a dumbphone is night and day. i like how one device can handle everything i throw at it. the device is a phone, camera, music player, web browser, mobile entertainment device and mobile-broadband for my laptop in one device.

battery life is the only thing i am not so impressed with. if you use your device hard you will have to charge it. i wouldnt mind if they quadrupled the battery size and made the phone larger. i mainly use my ipod classic 80g and i can get at least 60 hours out of it. its heavy as a brick but i wouldnt trade weight for less battery. i charge my droid every day at work if i use it hard as well as in the car. you can probably make due if you only use it hard for a few hours a day without charging but i prefer to have my phone above 30% at all times just in case.

as far as games go, with the www open to me i dont play many games on it. the few i have played were angry birds, defensoid and some miscellaneous games not worth mentioning.

as far as information goes,

droidforums, android forums, and xda-developers are truly AWSOME places to get information. chances are if you google any android based question there will be an answer on one of those three. you will find alot of custom rom work as well.

i've never used rootzwiki myself.

cyanogenmod is perhaps the most popular rom used. when i rooted my phone i ran it for about a day. its alright but the functions in the rom i run now are superior (for my needs at least). i'm running MIUI and it features such things as a full toggle switch area in the notification bar for practically everything as well as free wifi-hotspot.

you already saw my post in the other "new droid" thread. check out some of those programs.

clonazepam

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
Yeah I felt forced into a smartphone because the manufacturers have really abandoned basic phones. I wanted better pictures, video, and audio. There was only one place to go and that was android. Then after playing around with the Transformer, I realized there are some good games for killing time as well... and free. It became a no-brainer.

Thanks for the input.

i dont know about you but after using a smartphone i wouldnt want to go back to a basic phone. if most of the populace feels this way then manufacturers will offer less dumb phones. the only people who buy basic phones nowdays seem to be people with a job that requires a more rugged phone, people who only want a phone to be a phone and people who cannot afford an internet plan.

the android marketplace is still developing. quality can be iffy at times (as it isnt as moderated as apples store!) but overall it is on the right track. once developers get it in their head that half-assing an app will not get droid users to bite (we arent as blindly faithful as iphone users) and actually release a quality app, the app marketplace will really take off. all that said, there are still plenty of apps/games out there to keep you occupied.

clonazepam

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
Oh part of the reason I got the smartphone.... a few weeks ago my mother upgraded her phone... she picked the best basic phone they had... a samsung... so I was left with the thought... Do I really want the same phone as my mother? wtf. hah I'm only half-kidding but its true ;-)