GPS Functionality

matt2k

Distinguished
May 4, 2007
Hello forum people,

I have a question about the GPS in my smartphone. I have an HTC HD7. Im planning to go abroad quite soon, so i will of course be turning data off so as not to accrue epic charges.
I use the GPS function daily to map my runs and check speed/distance.

Now my question is, does anyone know an app that could do this (dont need to know my location, just speed/distance/time).

I've tried my current app with the data switched off, and the GPS activates but doesnt seem to be able to triangulate my position (leading me to think it somehow uses cell towers to get an approx position before accurately pinpointing the location, i could of course be talking bollocks)

Any help/advice as always highly appreciated!

Cheers
Mat x

Well from what I understand, GPS does not need wifi to triangulate because that is what the GPS satellites are for. Wifi or 3G/4G is necessary to download the maps.

However, I will assume if you purchase GPS software for your smartphone, then the maps will be installed and therefore, you will only need GPS to be activated in order to navigate.

I recently (yesterday) downloaded a free GPS Android called "Maverick" (there's a pro version for $6) to tryout. I wanted to see if I could use GPS in a remote area (wooded area in Pennsylvania) this weekend, but those plans just got cancelled.

The great thing about is that it supposedly stores maps that are downloaded while in use so that you can later use them offline; i.e. no Wifi or 3G/4G signals. You can even create your own maps to be stored on your smartphone. I haven't done so yet, but the following site give you instructions on how to create and store maps on your phone for Maverick to use.

http://help.codesector.com/MapsCache

@jag

with smartphones map software downloads are different. since space is at a premium quite a few (at least all of the ones i've ever used) only download what is needed. map tiles can get really excessive in file size if you consider all the zoom levels!

i've used the free version of maverick before; the program is meant for geo-caching. maverick itself has no maps (it connects to gmaps or others) but you are correct that it will "save" map tiles. keep in mind that this can get excessive after awhile. its a nifty program but i believe you can turn caching on in gmaps too.