High end phones, any faster?

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Hi all.

I was thinking of the Samsung Galaxy s3 - a very fast phone.
But how do I use all that speed?
Some phones are 10x faster than others. So, how will the software know how to use the added power?
For example, in a PC game, I can raise the graphic and physics settings if my rig can handle it.
Do phones work the same way?
And how can a quad core ARM @2ghz run other apps better? Like rendering complex flash/HTML5/web-pages, Google maps, skype video calling, Open Office etc.

I know a lot about PCs, but please help me a little with the phones.
thanks!

Solution
the plus side to having a faster/more powerful phone is better multi-tasking, less slowdowns, overall better response in general. some older single cores tend to skip a beat now and again when multitasking. as for how much performance is realized...it all depends on the software/os and how it interfaces with your hardware.

the downside is that a more powerfull phone will also drain the battery quite a bit faster, depending on other factors such as rom used, kernel used, etcetera.

as far as "raising the graphics" perhaps there will be some usage of this with the new 720p screens coming out lately.
S3 isn't out and no one knows the exact specs,but the most important thing in mobile phones today is the OS then the specs.
For example,iOS/WindowsPhone run quite well on single core CPUs;whereas,Android still needs some work to optimize the software for the hardware

the plus side to having a faster/more powerful phone is better multi-tasking, less slowdowns, overall better response in general. some older single cores tend to skip a beat now and again when multitasking. as for how much performance is realized...it all depends on the software/os and how it interfaces with your hardware.

the downside is that a more powerfull phone will also drain the battery quite a bit faster, depending on other factors such as rom used, kernel used, etcetera.

as far as "raising the graphics" perhaps there will be some usage of this with the new 720p screens coming out lately.

Solution