Kindle replacement

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
my mom just found out heres is broken, somehow the screen broke, dont know how.

so we are looking at a replacement,

she has a first generation one, we are going to see if she can get it fixed, but if thats not possible, what is the best kindle to get as a replacement.

i mean that realistically, i know the screens aren't as high a quality on the newest ones, but is there a real world difference when reading it normally?

thanks in advance. and sorry if this doesn't belong here, i didnt see a better place to put it.

I'm not sure if it's worth fixing, but your mom can just get an estimate to determine if she is better off buying another e-book reader.

The great thing about the Kindle is the matte screen. Matte screens means it does not reflect light like a glossy screen, it diffuses the light so that even on a bright sunny day it is easy to read from a Kindle. E-Book readers or tablets (iPad, Asus Transformer, Samsung Galaxy) with glossy screens reflects light back at you and you will see your reflection like a mirror. That's bad and very distracting when you are simply trying to read something.

The most logical replacement is the current Kindle Fire and it's competitor, the Nook. Both have glossy screens. They are more than simple e-book readers since they can also play videos, music and other things as well. They both use the Android operating system. Oh yeah, both can display color as well.

Here's a review of the Kindle Fire:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/14/amazon-kindle-fire-review/

Here's a review of the Nook:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/21/barnes-and-noble-nook-tablet-review/

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
already has an ipad 2, she wants the ebook reader for its ability to easily go outside and read, she is using the ipad 2 right now for a emergency backup e reader, but wants a kindle, i just don't know which one is the best version to get. i know the cheapest one is the worst quality, but did that spill over to other kindles? and is the quality difference really noticeable?

Actually, I just remembered I have a Kindle 2 that I am no longer using. I don't carry a bag or briefcase when I go to work or go out, so I really don't use it. I received it as a gift. It's nice and it works, but when I am out going about, I read books on my Motorola Droid phone. When I'm home I read e-books on my PC or I just read physical books.

I would be willing to sell my Kindle 2 if you are okay purchasing a used e-book reader,