Droid X or Droid 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
I am considering these two Verizon smartphones, but they look very similar, so I'm hoping for some insight. I'm not finding a lot of meaningful reviews, mostly consumer drivel that may not be reliable, so I'm hoping for better information here.
Right now I think I'm favoring the Droid 2, primarily for its physical keyboard and especially apparently better battery life (very important). The Droid X has more memory and mobile broadband, but those features seem less important to me.
My uses are likely to include a fair amount of typing. I'd like to actually be able to write pieces of a novella or two as the muse strikes, commentaries, and other text where I would not have access to a PC or even something like a netbook. It seems I'd prefer a physical keyboard for that.
Just because it can, I'd probably "end up" playing a few games on it, browsing / listening to media, although probably not streaming movies to it.

So, which one of these is the better choice? Or, would a different device (e.g. a Blackberry) make more sense?

Thanks!

Solution
As with most things tech related, it is a matter of personal preference. It sounds to me that your leaning towards going with the Droid 2 as it is for the keyboard. For your mentioned uses, I don't think that the hardware differences between the two will matter much, i.e. both should easily be able to handle basic media use pretty easily. I've never used either phone, as I am a Blackberry man myself due to the fact that I'm addicted to the keyboards on them (amongst other things). The Droid 2 keyboard, at least by the looks of it seems to be far more spacious than a standard BB keyboard, so I think that you'd probably enjoy it.

Go into one of Verizon's stores and try out the keyboard just to be sure before you buy it though. While...
As with most things tech related, it is a matter of personal preference. It sounds to me that your leaning towards going with the Droid 2 as it is for the keyboard. For your mentioned uses, I don't think that the hardware differences between the two will matter much, i.e. both should easily be able to handle basic media use pretty easily. I've never used either phone, as I am a Blackberry man myself due to the fact that I'm addicted to the keyboards on them (amongst other things). The Droid 2 keyboard, at least by the looks of it seems to be far more spacious than a standard BB keyboard, so I think that you'd probably enjoy it.

Go into one of Verizon's stores and try out the keyboard just to be sure before you buy it though. While you're there, also try out a BB keyboard for a good comparison. If you end up liking a BB, they also do a good job with handling videos and music.

Solution

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
I think a Droid 2 would be better for you. I have the original Droid and have been looking at the Droid X. The thing I dislike greatly about the X is the preloaded crap that cannot be removed. I also really like having the physical keyboard for typing and for playing with NES and SNES emulators. The original droid has an accessory called the game gripper which makes casual games of mario or maniac mansion so much fun!

http://www.home.game-gripper.com/

I am certain the droid 2 will soon be added. Check it out cuz it's awesome!

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
I think trying the keyboards is an excellent idea; there is in fact a Verizon store not far from me. I'll go there, but still plan to order online for better pricing.
Any hints as to battery life? And, will the "non-removable" poohware keep the CPU from idling, and eat the battery faster? I'm not sure these are answers I could expect to be accurately provided by a sales droid (no pun intended).

The reported battery life is around 575 minutes of continuous talk time and is probably days upon days if you don't talk that much. However, I have seen some threads in the android forums of users complaining that the battery life isn't that good, at least at first. It looks like the battery needs to be broken in a bit before it gives you full benefits.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Well, I went to the Verizon store, and spoke to three different agents about the phones. One is also a writer, and said there is an app he uses (something like "Writer's Nook"). Two who have and use Blackberries say there is nothing similar for it. Also, while no thumb-board will be great, Droid 2's beats the Blackberry. On battery life, Droid 2 beats Droid X, and an extended battery is available (up to 2300 mAh). I think my decision is made.

Status
Not open for further replies.