Buying a new smartphone

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
So, I'm looking into getting a smartphone.. I've been using what most refer to as "dumbphones".

Here are general specs I'm looking for:
It needs to be unlocked, I will be using the phone across the globe, with different sim carriers. I understand I will be paying more than I would on a contract phone.

I would prefer to use Android.

Price: 300-350 USD
CPU: 1 GHz minimum, Dual-core is a pro- but not a deal-breaker
Screen: 4"+
Resolution: around 960x540, higher the better. If it is slightly lower, I will consider it.
Must have WIFI/ GPS capabilities
Camera: 8 MP, Prefer to have 1080p video quality, but will settle for 720p if other specs are within reason.
Condition/reseller: Has to be new and packaged, from a retailer (like Newegg, Fry's, etc.., not eBay)
Battery: needs to last 5-6 hours AT LEAST (talk time)
RAM: 1 GB at least

My only odd requirement is the service for the States, I'd prefer that the phone have the ability to use services besides ATT ($70 a month is too much for a cell phone bill imo) like Redpocket, Straight talk etc... etc...

Thanks,

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010

Nice specs, but what about price? Because that's my main concern. I know that there is a Galaxy S3 out, with fairly good specs, so.. I'm hoping the S2 price will drop. But I'm also watching out over Motorola, I like the Razr series, and if the Razr HD gets released. Then I might have a shot at the Droid Razr, or Droid Razr Maxx.

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
The HTC One X is impressive.. but it is way out of budget. It sits at $540 on Newegg. But while browsing through, I found the Droid Razr at $380, if the price continues to drop- it may well be what I end up with.

MrEgger

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
When you dont have so much money, look for the older LG Optimus Speed (P990) or the new Sony Xperia P or U version. Its not the premiumclass, but its very cheap for a good display and a dual core

DavidWarner

Honorable
May 14, 2012

I will suggest you to stick with Samsung or HTC only.....