Android Specs and how to weigh them?

canadianvice

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2012
I'm thinking of upgrading my phone to a larger screen, and I've found what appears to be a legitimate Chinese wholesaler with some cheap Android phones. Now, barring my own concerns about its legitimacy, what specs should I be worried about?

I want to get a phone with the best performance I can at a good price (doesn't everyone?). My current phone is the Nexus S, which is nice, but starting to feel a tad aged.

I've been looking for a phone with 1GB of RAM, but I can't seem to find one, that said, does it really matter? 512MB, 1GB? The most I generally do is GBC.emu or Angry Birds.

Anyhow, thanks for letting me know. I guess the concise version of a TL;DR is how much of a performance increase will RAM give me relative to the price of the unit? Is it substantial?

My primary concern is simply getting a larger screen, but a faster phone would be nice too.

Solution
Well, I suppose I am fortunate to be limited to only two phone choices next year when I switch over from Verizon to Virgin Mobile / Boost Mobile. They only have two 4G phones, the Samsung Galaxy S II ($380) and the HTC Evo V ($250).

The Galaxy S II is a bit too big for my preference (4.52") compared to the Evo V (4.3"). But the S II does have longer battery life and is slightly lighter. I love the fact that for the processors it clearly states a 1.2GHz dual core CPU for the S II, while only listing a 1.2GHz for the Evo. In fact, both phones have the exact same dual core CPU. LOL, I love manipulative marketing to encourage you to spend more money.

RAM will not add to performance, it only allows you to store more programs / data in the...
Well, I suppose I am fortunate to be limited to only two phone choices next year when I switch over from Verizon to Virgin Mobile / Boost Mobile. They only have two 4G phones, the Samsung Galaxy S II ($380) and the HTC Evo V ($250).

The Galaxy S II is a bit too big for my preference (4.52") compared to the Evo V (4.3"). But the S II does have longer battery life and is slightly lighter. I love the fact that for the processors it clearly states a 1.2GHz dual core CPU for the S II, while only listing a 1.2GHz for the Evo. In fact, both phones have the exact same dual core CPU. LOL, I love manipulative marketing to encourage you to spend more money.

RAM will not add to performance, it only allows you to store more programs / data in the internal RAM before resorting to expandable flash memory.

Solution