How do Phone upgrades work?

seriousgamer

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012
I'm curious How phone upgrades work. I've never been with a major carrier before.

Example: Lets pretend that I signed up with ATT (or verizon/tmobile/sprint) for 4 smartphone lines and purchased 4 Samsung Galaxy S3 at $199 each.

When would our next upgrade be, and how many phones would we be allowed to purchase "at discount" (Also do we keep our S3's when we upgrade so that we can sell them on ebay)

Solution
Assuming you are on a 2 year contract with Verizon, discounted upgrades generally starts at around the 20th or 21st month into your contract. You can always ask a sales person in the store. The discount is generally $50 towards a new phone and it is per phone; so 4 phones means a total of $200. You are only allowed 1 discount per phone in your plan and you keep your old phone.... at least that was my experience.

Assuming you are on a 2 year contract with Verizon, discounted upgrades generally starts at around the 20th or 21st month into your contract. You can always ask a sales person in the store. The discount is generally $50 towards a new phone and it is per phone; so 4 phones means a total of $200. You are only allowed 1 discount per phone in your plan and you keep your old phone.... at least that was my experience.

Solution

seriousgamer

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012
So what you're saying is.

Scenario: I sign a 2 year contract with verizon (4 line plan) then after 21 months I go and I ask for my upgrade - lets pretend in 21 months there is an iphone 4s for "free" would I get it for free? Or Would i pay the "online price minus $50"

Thank You :p

If the iPhone 4s is "offered for free", then I would think you simply get it for free. But that $50 discount is foreited; meaning it does not carry over to the next time you are eligible for a discounted upgrade. So let's say you get your $50 discount in Dec 2014. You upgrade to a free phone (like the iphone 4s in your example). That $50 discount is gone. Poof!!! In Dec 2016 when you are eligible for another upgrade you only get a $50 discount (per phone).