Student looking for £600 laptop, help!

Ixian

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
I'm looking for a Laptop. Basically I'm on a £600 (maybe a bit more) budget. All I need to use it for is gaming. I'm well aware that £600 gets you sod all in terms of gaming laptops. I don't really care about features like card readers, although i will need a large hard drive and a wireless thingy. The main thing i care about is its gaming performance. What kind of things should i keep an eye out for? What processors are the best e.t.c Bear in mind i know a bit about pcs, but have no clue when it comes to laptop components.
thanks

MichaelAbbott

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
sorry mate but you have pretty much no chance for a gaming laptop at that kind of budget.
I spent £800 on a laptop, it can handle some games but by no means is it as good at gaming as a desktop that'll cost around £500.

But if you can give gaming a miss there are some good options eg: http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.200-6139/btnResultSort.x%3d492/btnResultSort.y%3d294.aspx
but if you really do want to game i'd recommend either going for a second hand gaming laptop or getting a cheaper laptop and a desktop.

Ixian

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
Thanks for all of your input, it seems I'll have to rely on older games to provide entertainment.

jpardue

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
What kind of games you looking to play dude? There is a big difference between World of Warcraft and Bioshock know what I mean? I bought a decent 1300 USD laptop last august that played WoW awesome, so you could find those probably around 800 USD now. Just do some research and buy components for the EXACT games you want to play. That should help narrow your search. Gl.

grimskull

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
for gaming a laptop isnt the best...... but for £600 you can get a pretty decent laptop.

Try www.acernotebooks.co.uk or www.dabs.co.uk. On dabs theres a Lenovo laptop for £600 and its pretty good, Acer got some good ones too.

All depends on what games you wanna play.... they all got pretty good hard drives (80GB +) and wireless thingy's (technical term), but get a Win XP Pro laptop with at least 1GB of RAM.