VAIO® FW Series Notebook PC - VGN-FW290JTB

kbird

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
hi guys,

have any guys experienced with VAIO® FW Series Notebook PC - VGN-FW290JTB. i have stumbled upon this via their 'help me choose' wizard. seems quite impressive.

Please forward any related experience,advantage and disadvantes on this

thanks

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
i disagree, vaio's have much better build quality than plastic dells or HP's, Sony uses magnesium alloy instead. im planning on getting the same model laptop with the radeon 3650 sometime in the next few months, if you do get it post a breif review here!

dwellman

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
The problem with VIAO is they were so sought after when they first came to market that the price was driven up by demand and, still today, the price does not justify the quality or specs.

My experience with Sony is they are one of the worst when it comes to loading crapware (trialware) on their builds. I've been disappointed to how un-durable they've been and how difficult they are to work on when something goes wrong. So, to keep in mind 1) you want to first thing delete all the crap from the shipped build or do a clean install of the OS of your choice. and 2) get as much warranty as you can afford.

Bottom line, you can do better elsewhere when it comes to price. EDIT: Gateway FX series gives a better bang for the buck. As far as durability goes the reining champ is IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad (T series) or HP Elitebook (Successor of the Armada M700 legacy)

frankramiro

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
i just got my fw290jtb and i did not tried it yet but i can say that i always owned sony stuff and i am very happy with the quality and long lasting of their products i 've owned for the last 4 years a Vaio A195EP and i'm so happy with it's performance that i decided to get this new fw290 and i hope to be as happy as i have been with all Sony Products,i don't get any interest for saying this nor i work for Sony but so far so good.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006

hey, mind posting a few pics and maybe a breif review?

frankramiro

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
By the way, Who the hell wants to download( CRAPWARE).crap in my home town is crap????????????????????????????????????????????????????