£2000 budget gaming laptop, please help?

ashmista

Distinguished
May 17, 2008
1_What is your budget?

£2000 ($3350)

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

16" +

3_What screen resolution do you want?

720p? 1080p?

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Desktop Replacment

5_How much battery life do you need?

Not Much I'd use the cable.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Games like CoD 4, CoD5, Crysis, Left 4 Dead, Comany of Heroes, Sims 3.

I'd like to play these games at the highest settings I can with a decent frame rate.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing, surfing the web, playing music, watching movies, Etc.)

3D graphics design using 3ds max, so animation, modelling and photoshop work.
Music, surfing web and movies.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?

500Gb minimum

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.

Dell
Alienware
www.rockdirect.com

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?

For a fair few years, I still am using my desktop that has a P4 in it still, so I can live with technology for a while.

11_If you would like to mention some other things about purchasing your ideal laptop, post them.

I would like a hdmi out connection and a optical out connection also (spdif) to connect to my surround sound if need be.
Needs to be sleek and sexy, thats why I love Alienware so much.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

Like:
Dell
Alienware
Rock
Asus

Dislike:
Mac
Acer

13_What country do you live in?
Uk

You have 3 good options:
ASUS W90
ALIENWARE M17x
CLEVO M980NU

ASUS W90 has 2 HD 4870s and the other 2 have 2 GTX 280M,HD 4870 and GTX 280M perform pretty much like each other,so as i said my vote goes for either of this notebooks.

ashmista

Distinguished
May 17, 2008
The M17x is by the far the best looking laptop in my opinion. To get the dual 1gb 280 and the 500gb hdd with this laptop it would cost me £2228. And it has the stock cpu hich is the Quad core q9000. It also has 4Gb DDR3 ram. Is this a good value for money and will the performance be great for what i want?

Also could you give me a link where I can customise the Asus and Clevo please? I like the look of both those laptops.
Thanks for help so far

ashmista

Distinguished
May 17, 2008
Ahh that's the clevo rig, I've seen that on novatech before I really like that actually if I had to choose it would be thebasic rig or a mcustomized M17X.

The q9000 isn't good enough? How about the m17x with vista 64 bit ultimate the dual 260m's the 500gb hdd and the T9800?

Well Q9000 is good but not very good because as i said its clocked @ 2.0GHZ so it will lose to a faster dual core in most games/apps.
Do u insist on getting the AW M17x ? Dual 260Ms with 500GB HDD and T9800 is a very good config but can't u get the clevo model for a lower price ?

ashmista

Distinguished
May 17, 2008
I have decided to go with the Clevo model :).

Here are teh specs that I have decided on, feel free to give me any suggestions.

Intel T9900 3.06GHz 6MB Cache 1066FSB
3x 500GB 7200 2.5" SATA Hard Disk Drives In RAID 5
OCZ 4GB DDR3 PC3-10666 1333MHz 2 x 2GB SO DIMM
Vista ultimate 64bit
Nvidia GTX280 1GB DDR3 Graphics

£2333.35 inc vat.

What do you think Maziar?

Whats the build quality like for this laptop?

ashmista

Distinguished
May 17, 2008
How come on the laptop lid it says novatech? I thought it was Clevo?

Or am I being really stupid :p.

I am set on this laptop with the above configuration, but what is the customer service and build quality like?

Also do you own this system, or another?

The manufacturer is Clevo, but Nova is acting as the middle man. Just like Sager, Rock, XoticPC and a bunch of others. I own an older model Clevo M570u and can vouch for the quality. You would more than likely deal with Novatech for customer support and I haven't dealt with them so I can't comment.

Wow that's an excellent config :) those GTX 280's are in SLI right?
Well about build quality i don't have an sager model myself but "lostandwandering" and "frozenlead" who are trusted members in this site have sager laptops and they are pretty happy with its build quality and performance :)

ashmista

Distinguished
May 17, 2008
Thanks, erm no its not SLI it's a single 1Gb GTX 280 on its own, to opt for two of these cards in SLI would cost me an extra £250+ and I can't justify that much for a little bit extra performance. Though teh two cards would be helpful for higher resolutions.

pcfixed

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
i am crazy gamer for £2000 comeon just to play games, there is no point in getting the most expensive gaming pc because 2 months later something new will comeout and ure stuck. I recommend maximum £1000 for an ultimate pc.

ashmista

Distinguished
May 17, 2008
I'm sorry but are you slightly retarded?

If lets say in the next two months they deliver a new more powerful graphics card or processor, does that physically stop me playing brand new games out for the next 4-5 years? No.

I still playing crysis on high with pentium 4 desktop. New technology advantages doesn't automatically make your computer inferior or outdated aslong as it still does what its intended to do and do it well.

To be fair I think he meant stuck as in you can't upgrade the laptop like you can a desktop. And even that isn't entirely true since you can upgrade pretty much everything but the GPU and motherboard in most laptops. And besides, in laptops, 1000 doesn't get you a whole lot of gaming potential.

ashmista

Distinguished
May 17, 2008
Ahh right well in that case yeah i may be slightly stuck, but as you just said I do have a fair choice of upgrades to use. 1000 isn't alot, laptops are really expensive for what they are, but hey I want one