School/ basic gaming Laptop under £450 (URGENT)

Kukushka

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
Hey folks,

My uncle wants to buy my 15 year old brother a laptop. The kid is interested in being able to play games and do school work on it as well as watch movies. The trick is that I have to decide the model tonight. The laptop has to have a dedicated gaming card or should run on AMD fusion (A6 + prefferibly g2 gpu).

P.s what do you think of:
http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/gbweb/LenovoPortal/en_GB/builder.workflow:Enter?sb=%3A000000F0%3A00000271%3A&smid=1441A668C0DDCB8E94985DA650F27F6F

1. What is your budget?
£450

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Over13 inches.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
Anything decent for the size of screen

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portability is a low priority

5. How much battery life do you need?
Battery life is a Low priority

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
At the moment- League of Legends (Medium-High) - Skyrim (Low to Medium)

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Browse internet, write essays, etc

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
Over 300gb

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
I like Lenovo :p

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
Unlikely that I will get a replacement in the next 2 years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Does not matter

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I prefer Lenovo, Asus, MSI.
I would consider any brand if it is good model that has proven successful, however, I have heard bad things about Acer & Hp

13. What country do you live in?
UK

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Hello Kukushka;

ThinkPad E525 with optional A8-3520M APU & Radeon HD 6620G graphics is a good choice in that budget range. 4GB of RAM is another good option.
It will do all the usual home office/home entertainment/educational work very well for years to come and it's good for some light gaming as well.
I don't believe it's going to be quite good enough for Skyrim, even on low graphics though.

Kukushka

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
Thanks for the help. I like both of the laptops you recommended. In the end we went with an HP, however we opted for the Pavilion with A6 processor and dual graphics set up.