How do I chose between a Dell Vostro 3550 i5 2450 (£714) and an Asus N55SF i7 (

gingerflower

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Hi. I would like some help. I have researched this for days now, and have narrowed the field to probably one of the following: Dell Vostro 3550 i5 2450 (£714) and Asus N55SF i7 (£840). How do I choose?
I am a home user - mainly emails, web browsing, word and excel user, watch occasional DVD's, but don't play computer games (my adult children may do when they are home?!). I only need to travel with it on holiday, but tend to move it round the house. It will be replacing my reliable IBM thinkpad T42 workhorse.

Asus has a better reliability rating for laptops than Dell, and the i7 is a better CPU. But for what you use the laptop for, you can get an i5 Asus and be happy with that for less money. Don't know the UK market at all so can't recommend an exact model for you. Also, have you looked at the Lenovo IdeaBooks? They are good models and since you used a ThinkPads maybe you should check them out. Lenovo is also a top rated laptop maker, I'd pick them over a Dell or HP.

gingerflower

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012

Thank you for this helpful reply hang-the-9. I did further research and have ordered a Lenovo which has almost as good a spec as the Asus, for a much better price, and I feel very happy about it. :)
Best wishes,
Gingerflower

You're welcome, best of luck with your new laptop!