PLUGGED IN NOT CHARGING PROBLEM IN DELL

Status
Not open for further replies.

electrontau

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
probably battery is dead. That's what happen when using AC adapter all the time without removing the battery. Battery is constantly charging. It is supposed to have charge/discharge cycle.

Did the same mistake that cost me $250 US to replace the battery.

verbalizer

Distinguished
May 28, 2010

I agree with the top part and the battery but, what battery cost you $250US.?

yoji

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

How long ago? that sounds like very old advice.

My laptop (HP6930) is 2.5 years old... its constantly being drained a bit (when I in meeting) and then topped up (wehn I back at desk) and battery is still in very good condition (last a good coupl eof hours).

My daughters laptop suffered same as OP. It was fine ne day.. and now it same as OP. I suspect a power spike or something blew something. Even though it was "repaired" at shop (they said battery) and battery replaced... still not fixed. Not worth taking it back to shop... she just runs it on AC.

Cheers

dbsuk2008

Honorable
Jul 2, 2013
Hi,

I also have a DELL XPS L502X and it has also started giving warnings at boot regarding the charger, it also has the message in Win7 - "plugged in, not charging".

However, I have a dual boot on this laptop Win7 Home (64bit) and Ubuntu 12.04LTS Desktop (64bit).

To my surprise when I boot into Ubuntu it still charges the battery, I have just got it back up to 100%.

Under Ubuntu "Power Statistics" it states "Percentage : 100%" but says "Capacity : 51%", I assume this is indicating that the battery is loosing capacity over time.

I am guilty, well at least my apprentice is guilty of leaving the machine plugged in permanently.

At least for now Ubuntu is sorting out the battery issues.

I am testing now by draining the battery down to see if it will charge up again fully.

Good old Linux!

Aj Khan

Estimable
Aug 18, 2014
FOUND A SOLUTION

It seems there are several different solutons out there but this one did it for me. I have been working on computers for a living for about 15 years and was completely amazed that this actually worked for me.

1. Turn on the laptop

2. Unplug the power cord from the laptop and blow several times into the end of the recepacle that plugs into the laptop

3. Blow several times into the laptop where the power plugs into

After I did that it started working. I found this solution on another post and I am still in shock it worked.

Reactions: rebeccahqp

kiran_b

Estimable
Sep 9, 2014
Wow, I never imagined this would ever work and most of the people here would also think the same and never try it.
It worked for me!! I just made a step more rather than just blowing since there was no visible dust, I used a household cleaner spray to clean the contacts and immediately it started to charge!

Thank you so much. This was so frustrating for me. i hope this is a permanent fix for me!

Now I'm getting to understand why my laptop used to randomly shut off even when it was on AC with no battery.
The moment it tried drawing more power from the charger, it couldn't have due to bad contacts and would snap off.
For not charging battery, it must need more power than just running the PC, so obviously it was not able to do that and it was not snapping it off because it has the backup battery power. Now its all logical

Really good find!!

choprocks

Estimable
Oct 10, 2014

I have had the same problem twice.. with the battery running perfect.
the problem is in the charger.. the cable gets twisted due to rough use so the point of contact of laptop and charger the wire just behind the point of contact gets bent .. have to go to a professional who cuts the wire and reconnects the connections inside the wire then apply tape.. this worked for me for an yr before it resurfaced. so i got it done again and its working~

jeesu

Estimable
Oct 18, 2014

Having the same problem. But as i am staying in a hostel and there are number of rooms here, i tried it on different plug points. To make me wonder it worked randomly with some of the plugs and not with the majority. So, the very next day i tried to charge again with my "saviour" plug point. Making me clueless, it didn't work. But it did work with some other plug points which disappointed me the previous day. So, now i am wandering in every room to to play this knock out game. Still having no conclusion.

indie17

Estimable
Nov 3, 2014
This worked for me too. I simply took a can of air (Office Depot "Cleaning Duster"), and cleaned both the end of the cord and the hole in the computer that it fits into, and my Dell Inspiron N7010 started charging the battery immediately.

Reactions: rebeccahqp

pouyaweb7

Estimable
Nov 7, 2014
i replaced the old battery with the new one as the old one wasnt being charged

the problem was that old battery message "" plugged in, not charging"

the problem didnt go away with the new battery
dell servis

Nadeem Dar

Estimable
Nov 8, 2014
Hi all...
I am one of the persons who are looking for the solution that plugged in not charging occurs..
Often you would perform steps that are performing operations on device manager , restarting systems , updating bios , etc...
But believe me after one month of struggle today i found the solution finally.
I went to market and told the technician that my laptop says plugged in not charging.He fixed the adapter in 15 minutes and said many of the times fault occurs in cable of adapter.
It only costs 3-4$.And now my battery is being charged.
Please do not follow any steps , its just waste of time..
Believe me i was one of them that was very much in problem and finding solutions for these...
Thanks

Wasim Raza

Estimable
Nov 11, 2014
SOLUTION: I believe to directly come to the point rather than writing long articles.
The problem is just Carbon created in the Charger pin & Laptop's charging slot.
1: Unplug the charger & shutdown laptop.
2: Take some Thinner OR any carbon removing solvent on Ear Bird (Cotton with thin stick).
3: Gently insert in charger pin & clean it properly, Repeat same in Laptop's charging slot.
4: Let the charger & Laptop DRY for 20 Minutes. after that on the Laptop & plug in.

If the problem still exist try cleaning again or rotate the pin of charger clockwise/anti-clockwise.

If still issue persist then your Charger's cable must be change,

Wasim Raza

Scott 123

Estimable
Nov 15, 2014

Did you get the solution I've the same problem?

hankron

Estimable
Nov 15, 2014

I have the same problem with a Brand new fully charged Battery but it's a compatible Battery rather than the overpriced ones from dell.
They add software so it does not recognise the battery

Jagabandhu Swain

Estimable
Nov 22, 2014
After replacing my laptop battery, it was showing the same Error Message but the below troubleshooting eradicate the issue:

1. Click on the battery icon in the System tray(bottom right corner of the task bar)
2. Clock on more power option(It will take you: Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options)
3.In the left pane of the window, Click on "Dell Battery Meter"
4. Click on "Battery Life " tab
5.Click on "Disable Battery Charging" and click OK
6.Reboot your laptop.

The above steps works for me but I'm not sure whether it will work for other.. as I'm not a hardware Guy :)
Happy troubleshooting

eevra

Estimable
Nov 26, 2014
Many thanks Khan.
Excellent TIP, very useful, saved many dollars..
thanks
-eevra

G

Tried this method thinking I would give it a shot then move on. But it worked!!!! I had even tried unplugging and plugging in many times previously. Thanks for the tip. :) ;)

enargins

Estimable
Dec 19, 2014
This is a great thread! Lots of helpful suggestions. I recently had the same problem, and resolved it, thanks to this thread. Here's my story.

Because I take my laptop out to Starbucks a lot, I bought a second charger from eBay a while back, so I could keep one in the car with me. I used the second charger as my charger at home, and put the Dell charger in the car (since it was older). Everything was fine for a while.

Then, a few weeks ago, I bent the cords between the charger and the power cord into a knot, to keep them from separating. I believe that's what caused the problem.

So, last night I got the dreaded "plugged in, not charging message." Tried pushing the cord into the socket further (which had worked in the past). No go.

Tried blowing in both pieces, as suggested here. Didn't help.

Tried using canned air. Didn't help.

Tried cleaning both pieces with lighter fluid. Didn't help.

Finally, I got the other charger out of the car and used it instead, and everything's fine.

So I believe twisting the cords into a knot caused this problem (so I'll never do it again). And simply replacing the charger solved the problem.

I'd like to note that though the charger was a no-name charger made in China, it worked fine until I twisted the cord into a knot. I paid $8 for it on eBay, and it'd probably still be working if I hadn't damaged it.

So my suggestion to anyone having this problem is: go to eBay and pick up a replacement charger for under 10 bucks and see if that fixes it.

reddive

Estimable
Dec 23, 2014

I had the same issue yesterday. The solution was to remove the battery from the laptop for about a minute and then place it back. Now it's charging again. I am also using a generic battery on a Dell XPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.