PLUGGED IN NOT CHARGING PROBLEM IN DELL

Tags:
  • Laptops
  • Dell Studio Xps
  • Battery
  • Dell
Last response: in Laptop Tech Support
March 6, 2012 11:26:21 AM

Hello,I have my laptop DELL XPS L502X. When I plugg a battery it gives a message plugged in, not charging.

More about : plugged charging problem dell

a b D Laptop
March 6, 2012 12:54:43 PM

probably battery is dead. That's what happen when using AC adapter all the time without removing the battery. Battery is constantly charging. It is supposed to have charge/discharge cycle.

Did the same mistake that cost me $250 US to replace the battery.
March 6, 2012 1:08:25 PM

electrontau said:
probably battery is dead. That's what happen when using AC adapter all the time without removing the battery. Battery is constantly charging. It is supposed to have charge/discharge cycle.

I agree with the top part and the battery but, what battery cost you $250US.?
Related resources
a b D Laptop
March 6, 2012 1:12:58 PM

electrontau said:

How long ago? that sounds like very old advice.

My laptop (HP6930) is 2.5 years old... its constantly being drained a bit (when I in meeting) and then topped up (wehn I back at desk) and battery is still in very good condition (last a good coupl eof hours).

My daughters laptop suffered same as OP. It was fine ne day.. and now it same as OP. I suspect a power spike or something blew something. Even though it was "repaired" at shop (they said battery) and battery replaced... still not fixed. Not worth taking it back to shop... she just runs it on AC.

Cheers
July 2, 2013 11:08:37 AM

Hi,

I also have a DELL XPS L502X and it has also started giving warnings at boot regarding the charger, it also has the message in Win7 - "plugged in, not charging".

However, I have a dual boot on this laptop Win7 Home (64bit) and Ubuntu 12.04LTS Desktop (64bit).

To my surprise when I boot into Ubuntu it still charges the battery, I have just got it back up to 100%.

Under Ubuntu "Power Statistics" it states "Percentage : 100%" but says "Capacity : 51%", I assume this is indicating that the battery is loosing capacity over time.

I am guilty, well at least my apprentice is guilty of leaving the machine plugged in permanently.

At least for now Ubuntu is sorting out the battery issues.

I am testing now by draining the battery down to see if it will charge up again fully.

Good old Linux!
August 18, 2014 1:42:42 PM

FOUND A SOLUTION

It seems there are several different solutons out there but this one did it for me. I have been working on computers for a living for about 15 years and was completely amazed that this actually worked for me.

1. Turn on the laptop

2. Unplug the power cord from the laptop and blow several times into the end of the recepacle that plugs into the laptop

3. Blow several times into the laptop where the power plugs into

After I did that it started working. I found this solution on another post and I am still in shock it worked.
September 9, 2014 9:29:14 AM

Wow, I never imagined this would ever work and most of the people here would also think the same and never try it.
It worked for me!! I just made a step more rather than just blowing since there was no visible dust, I used a household cleaner spray to clean the contacts and immediately it started to charge!

Thank you so much. This was so frustrating for me. i hope this is a permanent fix for me!

Now I'm getting to understand why my laptop used to randomly shut off even when it was on AC with no battery.
The moment it tried drawing more power from the charger, it couldn't have due to bad contacts and would snap off.
For not charging battery, it must need more power than just running the PC, so obviously it was not able to do that and it was not snapping it off because it has the backup battery power. Now its all logical

Really good find!!
Aj Khan said:
FOUND A SOLUTION

It seems there are several different solutons out there but this one did it for me. I have been working on computers for a living for about 15 years and was completely amazed that this actually worked for me.

1. Turn on the laptop

2. Unplug the power cord from the laptop and blow several times into the end of the recepacle that plugs into the laptop

After I did that it started working. I found this solution on another post and I am still in shock it worked.

October 9, 2014 10:41:34 PM

godenture said:
Hello,I have my laptop DELL XPS L502X. When I plugg a battery it gives a message plugged in, not charging.

I have had the same problem twice.. with the battery running perfect.
the problem is in the charger.. the cable gets twisted due to rough use so the point of contact of laptop and charger the wire just behind the point of contact gets bent .. have to go to a professional who cuts the wire and reconnects the connections inside the wire then apply tape.. this worked for me for an yr before it resurfaced. so i got it done again and its working~
October 18, 2014 6:13:14 AM

godenture said:

Having the same problem. But as i am staying in a hostel and there are number of rooms here, i tried it on different plug points. To make me wonder it worked randomly with some of the plugs and not with the majority. So, the very next day i tried to charge again with my "saviour" plug point. Making me clueless, it didn't work. But it did work with some other plug points which disappointed me the previous day. So, now i am wandering in every room to to play this knock out game. Still having no conclusion.
November 3, 2014 8:51:19 AM

This worked for me too. I simply took a can of air (Office Depot "Cleaning Duster"), and cleaned both the end of the cord and the hole in the computer that it fits into, and my Dell Inspiron N7010 started charging the battery immediately.

kiran_b said:
Wow, I never imagined this would ever work and most of the people here would also think the same and never try it.
It worked for me!! I just made a step more rather than just blowing since there was no visible dust, I used a household cleaner spray to clean the contacts and immediately it started to charge!

Thank you so much. This was so frustrating for me. i hope this is a permanent fix for me!

Now I'm getting to understand why my laptop used to randomly shut off even when it was on AC with no battery.
The moment it tried drawing more power from the charger, it couldn't have due to bad contacts and would snap off.
For not charging battery, it must need more power than just running the PC, so obviously it was not able to do that and it was not snapping it off because it has the backup battery power. Now its all logical

Really good find!!
Aj Khan said:
FOUND A SOLUTION

1. Turn on the laptop

November 7, 2014 7:56:03 AM

i replaced the old battery with the new one as the old one wasnt being charged

the problem was that old battery message "" plugged in, not charging"

the problem didnt go away with the new battery
dell servis
November 8, 2014 4:28:52 AM

Hi all...
I am one of the persons who are looking for the solution that plugged in not charging occurs..
Often you would perform steps that are performing operations on device manager , restarting systems , updating bios , etc...
But believe me after one month of struggle today i found the solution finally.
I went to market and told the technician that my laptop says plugged in not charging.He fixed the adapter in 15 minutes and said many of the times fault occurs in cable of adapter.
It only costs 3-4$.And now my battery is being charged.
Please do not follow any steps , its just waste of time..
Believe me i was one of them that was very much in problem and finding solutions for these...
Thanks
November 11, 2014 2:58:08 AM

SOLUTION: I believe to directly come to the point rather than writing long articles.
The problem is just Carbon created in the Charger pin & Laptop's charging slot.
1: Unplug the charger & shutdown laptop.
2: Take some Thinner OR any carbon removing solvent on Ear Bird (Cotton with thin stick).
3: Gently insert in charger pin & clean it properly, Repeat same in Laptop's charging slot.
4: Let the charger & Laptop DRY for 20 Minutes. after that on the Laptop & plug in.

If the problem still exist try cleaning again or rotate the pin of charger clockwise/anti-clockwise.

If still issue persist then your Charger's cable must be change,

Wasim Raza
November 15, 2014 6:24:37 AM

godenture said:

Did you get the solution I've the same problem?
November 15, 2014 12:34:36 PM

verbalizer said:
electrontau said:

I have the same problem with a Brand new fully charged Battery but it's a compatible Battery rather than the overpriced ones from dell.
They add software so it does not recognise the battery
November 22, 2014 3:07:33 AM

After replacing my laptop battery, it was showing the same Error Message but the below troubleshooting eradicate the issue:

1. Click on the battery icon in the System tray(bottom right corner of the task bar)
2. Clock on more power option(It will take you: Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options)
3.In the left pane of the window, Click on "Dell Battery Meter"
4. Click on "Battery Life " tab
5.Click on "Disable Battery Charging" and click OK
6.Reboot your laptop.

The above steps works for me but I'm not sure whether it will work for other.. as I'm not a hardware Guy :) 
Happy troubleshooting

November 26, 2014 7:28:23 AM

Many thanks Khan.
Excellent TIP, very useful, saved many dollars..
thanks
-eevra

Aj Khan said:
FOUND A SOLUTION

1. Turn on the laptop

Anonymous
December 18, 2014 12:42:59 PM

Tried this method thinking I would give it a shot then move on. But it worked!!!! I had even tried unplugging and plugging in many times previously. Thanks for the tip. :-) ;) 
December 19, 2014 1:45:55 PM

This is a great thread! Lots of helpful suggestions. I recently had the same problem, and resolved it, thanks to this thread. Here's my story.

Because I take my laptop out to Starbucks a lot, I bought a second charger from eBay a while back, so I could keep one in the car with me. I used the second charger as my charger at home, and put the Dell charger in the car (since it was older). Everything was fine for a while.

Then, a few weeks ago, I bent the cords between the charger and the power cord into a knot, to keep them from separating. I believe that's what caused the problem.

So, last night I got the dreaded "plugged in, not charging message." Tried pushing the cord into the socket further (which had worked in the past). No go.

Tried blowing in both pieces, as suggested here. Didn't help.

Tried using canned air. Didn't help.

Tried cleaning both pieces with lighter fluid. Didn't help.

Finally, I got the other charger out of the car and used it instead, and everything's fine.

So I believe twisting the cords into a knot caused this problem (so I'll never do it again). And simply replacing the charger solved the problem.

I'd like to note that though the charger was a no-name charger made in China, it worked fine until I twisted the cord into a knot. I paid $8 for it on eBay, and it'd probably still be working if I hadn't damaged it.

So my suggestion to anyone having this problem is: go to eBay and pick up a replacement charger for under 10 bucks and see if that fixes it.
December 23, 2014 5:42:53 AM

godenture said:

I had the same issue yesterday. The solution was to remove the battery from the laptop for about a minute and then place it back. Now it's charging again. I am also using a generic battery on a Dell XPS.
December 30, 2014 10:46:21 AM

godenture said:

Blow on it!
I had this problem. Did lots of internet research, then replaced the AC adapter. This solved the problem for a couple of months, but the other day I started getting the same message again. After checking all of the connections and making sure the battery was properly seated, I still couldn't get the system to charge. Back to the internet to see if anyone had any other clever tricks to get things working again. I was about to pull the machine apart and re-solder the power connector tot he motheboard when I ran across the silly advice to "blow on it." They said to blow into the tip of the little round plug, and into the port on the side of the laptop. What a ridiculous idea, but it was easy and free so I figured, what's the harm. I tilted the laptop up on its edge so the power port was close to my mouth, pulled out the plug and gave a couple of quick blows into the tip of the plug and a couple more into the port, then plugged it back in. Viola! It actually worked!
I don't know if it was a matter of a little dust or lint in the connector or maybe the moisture in my breath helped establish a better connection or if I have magical super-powers that I didn't know about... All I know is that it worked.
A couple of days later, I had to use the computer on battery power and when I plugged it back in, again "Plugged in, not charging." I pulled the plug out and put it back several times, but no help, just more failure messages. Again, I blew into the tip of the plug and into the port, and again, the system responded by showing the battery charging.
When I have more time, I plan to experiment with my old Dell adapter, and try using some good contact cleaner on the plug and port, but for the moment, Blowing into the plug and port seem to have solved the problem.
Try it. It worked for me.

January 12, 2015 9:01:39 AM

Aj Khan said:
FOUND A SOLUTION

1. Turn on the laptop

Since it's such a whacky and unlikely thing to do, yet it seems to work, I will add my testimony to the pile:
Same problem (no charging while connected to power - stuck at 83% in my case). Tried several different Dell chargers, no result. Performance of battery was excellent until this happened. Read the post at the office, where I use a docking station (so the power does not even come in at the normal connector) - same problem again, no charging. Out of sheer frustration, I blew on the connector, clicked it back in the docking station....and all is fine again.
I have no explanation, just the experience that the magic worked.
a b D Laptop
January 12, 2015 10:38:42 AM

Berend Harmsen said:
Aj Khan said:
FOUND A SOLUTION

1. Turn on the laptop

Since it's such a whacky and unlikely thing to do, yet it seems to work, I will add my testimony to the pile:
Same problem (no charging while connected to power - stuck at 83% in my case). Tried several different Dell chargers, no result. Performance of battery was excellent until this happened. Read the post at the office, where I use a docking station (so the power does not even come in at the normal connector) - same problem again, no charging. Out of sheer frustration, I blew on the connector, clicked it back in the docking station....and all is fine again.
I have no explanation, just the experience that the magic worked.

I have an Alienware (which is Dell) and it has protection which is supposed to extend battery life. The is built in when you use your laptop plugged in all the time. It's automatically treat the battery like it's charging mine sticks at 96%. the first time it did this a message popped up explaining what it was doing.

January 18, 2015 6:19:36 PM

verbalizer said:
electrontau said:

I have just had the same problem recently, I ordered a new battery and received it today. However the problem still persists, it does not charge the new battery either.

January 27, 2015 5:26:24 AM

I ran into same problem on my dell studio 1558 laptop. I read an advice on blowing into the end of power chord and also into the power socket of my laptop. I blew once in both places and it worked! I can't still believe it! I had absolutely no hope when I was trying this apparently ridiculous advice.

I guess a layer of dust gathers over time and acts like insulation...
February 2, 2015 3:29:53 AM

Wow.... worked for me! I cant believe it...like a NES cartridge!
February 5, 2015 11:13:18 AM

Aj Khan said:
FOUND A SOLUTION

1. Turn on the laptop

My laptop is typically powered by the A/C adapter. This has worked for me in the past:
In Control Panel, under Power Options, select Desktop mode battery charge.
For me, it is on the left-pane. Enable and Apply.
a b D Laptop
February 6, 2015 9:24:54 AM

I had the same issue the tech had me disconnect the battery and hold the power button down for 30 seconds then plug the battery back in. It's supposed to reset the battery. Then they had me disconnect the battery and just use the power brick and neither worked. So i sent it in for warranty work and it turned out to be the graphics card and mobo.
February 16, 2015 2:40:20 AM

godenture said:
Try positioning the charger where it can charge ,maybe bend the cords of the charger slightly,because there are some chargers that have messed up circuitry and you have to do is close them by making slight bending of the cords.

February 18, 2015 2:16:59 PM

Aj Khan said:
FOUND A SOLUTION
1. Turn on the laptop

I am sitting here in stunned disbelief. I've got 20+ years in the business. Never thought this would work, but tried it and it did. mind=blown

February 21, 2015 2:54:30 PM

I really would not have believed it, but the "blow on it" solution just worked for me and my work laptop (a Dell Latitude E5440). It wasn't just the unplugging and replugging, because I'd done that repeatedly already. Go figure!
February 23, 2015 12:16:34 AM

holy moly.. I can't believed that work!! AWESOME!!!! THANKS!!

indie17 said:
This worked for me too. I simply took a can of air (Office Depot "Cleaning Duster"), and cleaned both the end of the cord and the hole in the computer that it fits into, and my Dell Inspiron N7010 started charging the battery immediately.

kiran_b said:

Really good find!!
Aj Khan said:
FOUND A SOLUTION

1. Turn on the laptop

February 28, 2015 3:05:20 PM

Anonymous said:
Tried this method thinking I would give it a shot then move on. But it worked!!!! I had even tried unplugging and plugging in many times previously. Thanks for the tip. :-) ;) 

ha. i can't believe it. my inspiron had not been charging for days. as a joke more than anything, i removed the power cord and blew into the receptacle then blew into the power cord plug.

abraca-freakin'-dabra! the battery has gone from 68% up to 76% in the last half hour.

i troubleshoot and fix things for a living, but i never would have thought of doing that. no way i would have ever believed it could have worked. still don't understand why, but i swear to gods it did the trick!

March 5, 2015 12:16:32 AM

Aj Khan said:
FOUND A SOLUTION

1. Turn on the laptop

I just registered to confirm this works 110%, its too simple! i just blew once into the lead connecter and once into the charging bit for the cable and Kaboom the laptop is now charging. Thanks bud!
March 5, 2015 7:56:12 AM

godenture said:

Hi there,

I found a fix which may very well work for you. It was a bit embarrassing that I didn't think of it before but here goes: I got the contact cleaner as suggested elsewhere here and went to town cleaning everything (power off, battery out!) and looked into the female A/C Adapter on the back of the computer and two of the four contact tabs (little copper prongs) that contact the inside of the male end were bent inward toward the center connector. I took a plastic toothpick and bent them gently outward and viola, I am now charging rapidly! I hope this helps. I shoudl have thought of the simple stuff first but hey, it's fixed now right?

Bill

March 13, 2015 1:29:17 PM

andy2015 said:
Aj Khan said:
FOUND A SOLUTION

1. Turn on the laptop

I just registered to confirm this works 110%, its too simple! i just blew once into the lead connecter and once into the charging bit for the cable and Kaboom the laptop is now charging. Thanks bud!

I just registered to say that I, like many others, after having dealt with Dell concierge who said it was either my adapter cord or my motherboard, then trips to local stores to confirm the adapter cord was fine, and another store that insisted it must be the battery, finally back home to find this thread and try the blowing once, it not working, trying again a few hours later just out of sheer frustration blowing again, and voila, it's fixed. Thank goodness for the Internet and people willing to put this info out there for others. I'll let Dell know the scoop when they call me to follow up! 2 of these experts had me about ready to replace the motherboard for hundreds of dollars and further frustration.
March 13, 2015 1:32:22 PM

I will add that what threw me for a loop was that coincidentally to this problem the Dell remote personnel had installed a bunch of driver updates, etc., and I was convinced that there was some type of software issue that had been created, yet the blowing works!!! It does seem to me to be interesting that so many seem to be having this problem in just the past month, so somehow it may be related to some recent ms device update, etc.
March 17, 2015 4:30:59 AM

verbalizer said:
electrontau said:

I have the same problem. My PC: DELL Inspiron 3537, WIN 8.1.
I checked power cable on another computer - OK
I checked my battery on another computer - charging OK

March 20, 2015 3:49:48 AM

Many of the above bought new batteries and it didn't help. The battery should just start lasting a shorter time between charges. I don't think that it is the charger either. My computer runs on the charger but does not charge the battery and the battery never goes down unless the plug falls out--Something that Dell is so proud of. The battery is NOT plugged into the charger directly but goes through a cable that goes into the computer. My next attempt will be to go into the computer and see just what that cable goes into.

I think that, on a smaller scale, this is like my electric deep fryer. It's power cord was attached to the fryer by a weak magnet so that my non-existent children won't run into the cord and burn themselves. (or a mouse won't hang itself on my computer power cord because the cord won't stay in. As both of these items came out or wiggled around at the connector until it's connectors are so carbonized and burned that they fail to make good contact.
March 21, 2015 4:43:36 AM

godenture said:

Hello,
I had the same problem with my dell studio 15 and because my original profession was electronic designer I have search for the problem sometime.
If the laptop is running on net power and the battery is not charging, the most probable cause is that the sense wire or connection between the battery loader and motherboard is intermitted.
How to test it?
In case of the dell studio the blue led on the connector is burning but the battery is not charging.
Disconnect the loader from the mains a take a simple Ohm meter, there should be a connection between the very tiny central pin (sense) and the ground. (If you open the cable like I did the sense is the green wire, the white and grey wire are the 19,5 V supply).
Now start to bend the cable carefully from begin to end to see if you see changes in the resistance, if you found a place where the Ohmmeter change from zero to infinity you found the location where probably the cable is intermitted. To be sure cut the wire and pull the green wire, if you can pull it out the cable you have found the problem. Now replace the loader or solder the wires again.
Another problem can be the connector in the laptop.
As it is very hard to test if the laptop is open you better replace it. If you look on the internet you will find dozen of suppliers, don't chose a cheap one, use one of Dell or a trustable company. The cheap one's have lousy soldering and incompatible led's, so this won't help.
If your battery was performing well or other batteries have the same problem, don't replace them, as long as you don't get a warning from the dell hardware test software that cells are broken.
Hopes this helps.
Regards, Jan Olivier

March 21, 2015 8:47:54 AM

well, mine was fixed, then not charging came back, I blew again, it came back, and not the problem has returned. I'm tempted to try the carbon cleaner option. can someone tell me precisely what is safe to use for this purpose? Thanks,
March 21, 2015 1:41:05 PM

Is this a Dell-specific issue? I have an HP that's like 4 years old, and it's a really bad laptop, every piece of hardware in it has broken, and i just spent $230 to replace the motherboard today, but I've never had a not charging issue. I never once cleaned the charger port or the cable end, and it still charges the battery fine. I was planning to get a Dell, but this thread makes me worry. :( 
March 22, 2015 3:29:31 AM

I don't know , this is my fourth or fifth dell, the other one's were from my emplorer. What I know that Dell uses a very simple way to determine what kind of power supply is connected. If the cords gets older, the plastic gets harder and the change that a thin wire breaks inside is rather great. And if this happens the battery won't charge and discharging batteries to the limit can causes cell to reverse polarity and then there is no other option than to discharge the battery and replace it by a new one. Be aware that new batteries often have a strange loading curve, which disappears after some charges and discharges.
And by the way regarding the price of new laptops, repairs of hardware are a waist of money, you better get a new one with guarantee.
March 25, 2015 1:28:24 AM

Before anyone runs out to get a new battery,
My laptop occasionally has the same problem. I know it isn't the power cords, or a busted battery.

So I took out the battery out of the machine for about a half a minute then put it back in and it was charging again.
I heard Dells have a tendency to build up static charge, maybe it could have something to do with that attribute.
Honestly, I couldn't tell you why it works for me, but it is quick and easy and it does work.

TLDR: before you buy a new battery, take the one you have out and then put it back in, it might work.
March 27, 2015 8:51:56 PM

This L502X is the only computer that I've had this happen with. I couldn't get it to charge--Just maintain the current charge, dropping slowly as the power supply cord kept falling out. I tried just about everything listed here with no luck. I set the computer aside in disgust. I came back a couple of days later and the battery was completely charged and continues to charge with no problems. If I could afford it I'd get a new one and it wouldn't be a Dell. I really like this computer, but it's no good if I can't supply power to it.
April 7, 2015 10:07:31 AM

godenture said:

This is a little risky but it always works for me
while u r being shown this message remove ur battery with power from the ac cord and put it back in
a b D Laptop
April 7, 2015 12:13:11 PM

godenture said:

First of Dell has this built in to conserve battery life. This prevents overcharging. First of all is you battery power % going down? When my Alienware is charged and plugged in for awhile I get that message. When I look at the battery gauge it stays at the same percentage for awhile say 85% or 75%. This is a sign that it's just doing this. Now it the battery % keeps going down something is wrong.
April 7, 2015 6:09:10 PM

Aj Khan said:
FOUND A SOLUTION

1. Turn on the laptop

This actually worked for me. Thank you!
April 7, 2015 11:27:01 PM

Hi, I repaired HP Compaq nc2400 when I solder new power connector on motherboard. Now laptop says: plugged in and charging. Earlier I tried change battery charging options, erased battery driver, many times restarted and nothing changed, laptop said: plugged in, not charging. One of connections to pcb of connector was broken and I think does not provide enough current to charge battery an computer did not recognize charger, as it happens, when connect some non original chargers.
April 13, 2015 10:50:35 AM

I know it is an old question, but I just encoutered a similar problem and solved it, so here goes my solution for reference.
The laptop: Dell 5520
Problem: Only charging battery when laptop was off, started over night and day of work, came home turn it on to discover it was not charging unless it was off

Solution: Just turn Dell Desktop Mode off, apply changes, turn on again if you wish.

I dont know the whys, I have this pc for more than 3 years. I had desktop mode always on.
I have seen the problem reported with brands other than Dell, maybe they have a similar software?
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
Tom’s guide in the world
  • Germany
  • France
  • Italy
  • Ireland
  • UK
Follow Tom’s guide
Subscribe to our newsletter
  • add to twitter
  • add to facebook