How do I unlock the 6800gs APG 4 extra pipelines?

jasontkennedy

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2004
I just bought my XFX 6800gs from newegg, and I noticed something a little strange: (read the link - or skip it for a summery)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustRatingReview.asp?Item=N82E16814150126

The third and fourth reviews the person indicates that he is not only upping the core speed from 350MHz to 425MHz, but also that he is unlocking the extra 4 pixel pipelines in the core. This would (correct me if I wrong) mean that this guy is running it like a GT? And my second question, How do you unlock the extra pipelines? I am sure I can figure out how to OC the core clock speed with the omega drivers (by the way, where do I get omega drivers?), but the unlocking the other pipelines.... how do I do it?

Vascular

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
No way to unlock 4 pipelines. Not worth worrying about unless you want to attempt to mangle the card. I think some of the other factory card are at 425 stock so that is not unbeleivable.

They say they are using Riva Tuner.

apache_lives

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2002
download coolbits - it allows overclocking through the nvidia drivers (so you can keep up to date with nvidia's own drivers).

Unlocking the pipelines - iz forgets. :oops:

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
No way to unlock 4 pipelines. Not worth worrying about unless you want to attempt to mangle the card. I think some of the other factory card are at 425 stock so that is not unbeleivable.

They say they are using Riva Tuner.

This is an AGP card, so it is using the NV40 chip. It's possible it may reach 425, but this is not the same chip as the pci-ex boards so it built on larger geometry (.13nm instead of .09, I think) and therefore may not clock as high, reliably. Use rivatuner and you may be able to sucessfully unlock the extra 4 pipes and the 1 shader unit to turn it into a GT.

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
I just got the AGP GS and I unlocked the pipes and have seen no artifacts yet. It is, however, always a crap shoot if it will work or not. Mine seems to work.

jasontkennedy

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2004
so is riva tuner what you used? Is it software? And if so, how user friendly is it? If it is not user friendly, would you maybe be willing to walk me through it in an IM session, or at least get me pointed in the right direction. I am no dummy, but outside of the wolrd of GUI's, I struggle (IE command line instections, hex editors, bios loaders, etc.) I can get the work done, but I usually need help.

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
google rivaturner, and here is a guide to using it

http://firingsquad.com/hardware/geforce_6800_unlocking/