can you unlock PNY 6800gs agp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kakeashi

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
im hearing mixed things about unlocking the PNY 6800gs agp. i just bought the one off tigerdirect but they are backordered and i want to exchange for the eVGA one. but does anyone know if you can unlock the PNY 6800gs?

thanks

cleeve

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2003
You can attempt to unlock any AGP 6800 GS, but success is not guaranteed with any of them as far as I know.

cleeve

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2003
heheh, well that's not what I meant.

All AGP 6800 GS's have disabled pipelines.

You can't unlock a PCI express 6800 GS though, because there are no pipelines to unlock...

uber_g

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006
to much to hassle with

lets see u got to cool it good and mantain it and the life span will shorten

not worth , buy a better video card IMO

Jesus <3's

CallumN

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
Buy it, try it. If it doesnt work and you really want it to, then RMA it. say its broken. If you really wanna break it before you send it back make it over heat or something. If the second one doesnt work then i think that you would be pushing your luck to RMA it, but worth a try if you want to.

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
It will work provided two things...

A) Its NV40 (Which all 6800GS AGP based models are, so were good there)
B) The bitmasked pipes arent already physically damaged in some way.

Its not that hard, takes about two minutes if your moving your hand at a crawl speed, and if the pipes are damaged and produce artifacting, you can uninstall RivaTuner and revert the card back to default. If the artifacting continues, just RMA and claim it came like that :twisted:

(I realize its not ethical, but were trying to accomplish something here)

CallumN

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006

My point exactly, and they should sell cards that unlock anyway, who do they think they are, AMD/Intel? If you do i hope that your pipes arent damaged. Remember if they are damaged to see if its the pixel pipes or the vertex shader thats damaged, you could always run with only one unlocked. But always worth RMA'ing it to begin with and try your luck.

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004

My point exactly, and they should sell cards that unlock anyway, who do they think they are, AMD/Intel?

Perhaps they should just give the cards away, I think that would be best. :?:

Anyway, I have an AGP GS and the pipes should unlock, but they may not work so your mileage may vary.

Status
Not open for further replies.