Interesting 6800GS unlock topic.

ElPolloDiablo

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
I am discussing in another forum with people who had no luck in unlocking their 6800GS agps. Apparently, because they can't "see" artifacts in games but have them when running ATITool they are going to keep the pipes unlocked. I told them it would be a bad idea because you're using known defective pipes.

They say they have no issues and games run faster and the artifacts are minimum to no biggie.

What do you guys think?

ElPolloDiablo

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
It's a heated topic. Some people have artifacts in ATITools and nothing else because of the picky nature of ATITools. Others have "seen" a few yellow artifacts every now and then but on such a minor scale that they don't care. Others have bad artifacts and had to turn their pipes off again.

Some people say it damages the card others say it's stupid to worry about and the speed increase is really good.

So far a lot of people are unlocking their bad cards again because of this!

I just thought it was interesting.

Hicks121

Distinguished
May 22, 2006
I have the 6800gs AGP, running with the extra vetrix & pixl pipes unlocked for the last 9 months & had no issues & NO ARTIFACTS.

minim3

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
I have an asus 6800 agp and have unlocked the extra pipelines for over 3 months now and they work 100% no errors, artifacts whatsoever. I have modded the bios so I can run it without having to install extra programs such as RivaTuner every single time. To my knowledge it's just random of what you gonna get. Some get the card and unlock and everything goes well (as me for example). Some get the one with the defective pipelines. As far as I know they had a big problem with defective pipelines at the start of manufacturing. After some time that had been solved and they just kept the gs line and just disable the pipes under bios. (talking about agp version, pci express got laser cut [bummer])
So probably if you buy one that is manufactured relatively recently it probably ain't gonna have bad pipelines, prob. bios disabled ones. So you gonna end up owing a gt version with the money of a gs! (and also if you get unlucky simply return it asap and get your money back)
I hope this will help you.

DrBlofeld

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
Uhh the 6800GS came out December 2005. So did you use a time machine to get one in 2004?
Just curious 8O

Why does it always take video cards of the future to convince people that time machines do exist?????? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

kaotao

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006
Uhh the 6800GS came out December 2005. So did you use a time machine to get one in 2004?

Just curious 8O

His post indicates he's had it for about nine months. That would take us back to about Dec. 2005. :oops: :roll:

samir_nayanajaad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Correct as a few people posting say that alas, they have ran the card for a long time with the bad pipes and had no impact.

Hmm!
1.jpg

You're looking at one right now that has been gamed for 2yrs.
I'll be more than happy to pwn those nay sayers.

hey wusy what did you use to get that hsf on the gpu? My stock hsf fan for my vid card lost a few blades so now I have my amd fan glued onto the heat sink and I would rather just do what you did with my whole amd hsf. I looked into AS glue but it said not to use it on a cpu because it gets too hot and didnt go that way bc gpu gets hotter.

icbluscrn

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
I have one that i bought used. it did artifact when i unlocked the card in ati tools but i overclocked anyway. running any of the 3dmarks or games it does not artifact.(quake 4 may have some minor issues)
So needless to say i just stopped running ati tool. lol Oh and i play all of the recent games
an issue did arise but not sure when it occured with second (dvi) connector if i use it its just makes it everything yellow (like using yellow lense sunglasses) its been like that for over a year but now rarely game with that machine.

kornyman

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
I had a 9800SE that I had softmoded, used an arctic cooler heatsink on it. It modded with a few artifacts, but with the ability to crank up the settings on most games to their max, I was happy to deal with them. About 6 months later, the card completely died on me. Computer wouldn't even boot with the card in it. I don't know what caused it to crap out, and honestly I don't think it was the unlock, but it might have been.

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
@ Wusy

I need to post some pics of my TT Typhoon/X1800XT mod.

Too all.

Not ALL 6800GS' will unlock. I'm not talking specifically AGP either.
Many are NOT AGP. I've physically dealt with several AGP 6800GS'.
Two were NV40 based which unlocked without problem, the other was a very interesting card. It was NV42 based with an HSI bridge to allow AGP use, and it was not unlockable.

ElPolloDiablo

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
I feel dumb. My 6800GS I've had for a week now (bought it from a friend for cheap) and I have been having some issues with lockups in games and the machine not posting a screen when I would turn it back on. My spider sense told me to look at the 12V rail layout in my PC.

Last week when I re-did the wiring in my computer I somehow managed to get my HDD and Zalman Fata1ity cooler on the same power chain as the 6800GS. NO WONDER. I now have the video card on the 12V rail by itself and no problems anymore.

I know better than that!

All of you may taunt me now.