clayton_cjm

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
The 9800gt and gtx have the same g92 gpu but a difference in stream processors .Can I enable the diabled stream processors in the 9800gt by flashing it with the 9800gtx bios?Or is there any other way?

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
there probably is a way, but it is more likely a similar situation to that of the AMD phenom CPU's

they disable the cores(or in this case stream processors) that are faulty, and then they make it a slightly less card.

I have never heard of anyone pulling off such a trick on a GPU, so I would not think that it is possible just like that.

clayton_cjm

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
no results for newer cards like 9800gt .One website did say that nvidia permanently dissables the extra 16 stream processors on the 9800 gt gpu with a laser.Just wanted to know if this was true.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
thats uuhmm, nice of them... /sarcasm

well I suppose you should not blame them for trying to run a business.

If you really are desperate for better performance though, just consider an upgrade.

that card is more than powerful enough for most games out there anyways. You just wont max out everything...

turboflame

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
With older cards there were certain cards that could be unlocked into higher end cards by flashing the BIOS with that of the higher end card.

Nowadays extra units on the card are laser cut off. If you attempt to flash the BIOS you get a bricked card.

Mousemonkey

Distinguished

I can't confirm or deny that but the chances are that it's far more likely to get a GTX to be a GT than the other way round. As for why they would want to cripple a perfect GPU so that it could be sold for less money, that's an AMD trick to losing cash and I have my doubts that Nvidia would do similar.

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
No way, pushing the GT200 onto 65nm is nVidia's way of shooting themselves in the feet, AMD's already patented selling good chips for less.

Mousemonkey

Distinguished

:heink: But they started as 65nm and were then shrunk to 55nm and so far only three 40nm variant GPU's have appeared on product listings.

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
Starting in 65nm wasn't a nice idea, if I could control that I would have started on 55nm then right now shrunk to 40nm (yields are good enough for TSMC's 40nm node).

Mousemonkey

Distinguished

Then why don't you just start up your own GPU company and show us all how it should be done. :sarcastic:

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009

+1

Simple not all the GT G92 boards have bad shader blocks but are either very high leakage for a given clock to ware it is not viable for the GTX or couldn't reach stable speeds so they would cut a block to reduce power as well in the end clock as well to sell in a lower price bracket. How ever with the GTS250 I bet that most G92b units can very easily run at those specks but again Nvidia wants to maintain some market share even at a loss.

TRENDING THREADS