Unlock a gtx 465 to a gtx 470? possible? (rumors)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cardboardm0nkey

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
Not to stir anything up, but, I snagged a PNY 465 on the cheap recently then stumbled upon these rumors. After a bit of research, I have successfully unlocked the cores of a Gtx 470 changing my Gtx 465's original 352 to 448.

With that came an additional 1k marks in vantage that I didn't get before.

However, I have not opened the card to see if the ram chips are there to try flashing it to gain access to those as well. I have a pretty severe Pandora's box situation when I tinker too much.

I am quite happy with it as is though, I don't do a lot of heavy gaming so it sits well and is fairly inline with the rest of my PC.

jyjjy

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
Yeah, its real. From what I've read though it is risky to flash the card because if the extra shaders aren't functional it bricks the card. You can reflash it so it works again if you have onboard graphics or another card and 2 PCIEx16 slots but if not I wouldn't risk it.

TheGreatGrapeApe

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
I know this has been closed but as it will get a bunch of traffic and can avoid future similar questions will add this;

You might not need to open the HSF to see the chips, look at the back of the card and check that all the memory chips are evenly and properly soldered off and had the appropriate bridges for the memory on the back of the card.

gtx46507.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.