EVGA Nvidia GTX 465 unlock to 470 questions

elicash80

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Just picked up a EVGA GTX 465 from Geeks.com and am crossing my fingers that it will unlock to a 470. I know there is only a slim chance with EVGA 465s, but PCB side is not missing transitors where the two extra chips would hopefully be, so I'm thinking this is a positive.

My questions are

1. If it has the right transistors on the PCB side does this mean it absolutely has 10 chips instead of the dreaded 8?

2. I have read that it must have the right core and chips to be able to unlock, not just 10 chips? Is this true and has anyone got a 10 chips worth of RAM, but with the newer processor?

3. Is the only was to check the core to remove the heatsink? I have never applied thermal paste and don't want to spend any more money, but do want to make sure of what I have so I don't brick this card. $110 is quite a lot of money for me at the moment.

Any suggestions about flashing and/or verifying what I have would be nice - Hope to be sittin in 470 territory soon.

elicash80

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Just took off the heatsink on my EVGA GTX 465 and I have a GF100-275-A3 chip. The transistors on the black PCB side look raised and I believe are all in the right spots comparing pics I have found on this forum.

If I have the right chips and I have the 275-A3 chip does this mean that this is most definitely flashable to a 470?

Can't afford to brick this thing because I am working off an internal GPU (Intel HD Graphics) on a TOshiba A665 laptop.

This is for a eGPU project pulling from the DIY eGPU thread on the Notebookreview.com forum.

elicash80

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Thanks I guess, didn't find anything with my name in that particular thread, but I believe I should be good.

Just wanted to know if the transistors were a good enough sign for 10 chips or whether I actually had to see the chips themselves. Seems like people have taken the risk off of seeing the transistors and core itself.