Looking for a 6950 that will unlock

RainDownMyBlues

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011
I'm looking to buy a 6950 next week, and I was wondering if anyone knew of a currently available 6950 that reliably will unlock the 6970 shaders. If it doesn't work I still have a good 6950 that I'll be content with, but the possibility of more power at the same price point is too good not to try. :)

Thanks gents.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

This one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127575

The Sapphire one seems to be getitng returned a lot.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Probably because so many were getting returned. Many people were slamming Sapphire and interestingly; there was no comments by Sapphire tech. Seems like Sapphire got careless because many of their products were deactivated.

It looks like only MSI's Twin Frozr (III) is the only one. I don't think XFX and Gigabyte have the dual bios. Perhaps someone with more knowledge will chime in. I know MSI's does because that;s the one I'm watching....hopefully a price decrease. Also, check Tom's articles; it mentioned which have the dual bios.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
The 2 from Sapphire (1GB and 2GB version) seem to have it. Just saw it today. I am skeptical with all the bad reviews and deactivations. The 2 there seem to have spotless records which raises a caution flag with me.

Here's one of the Sapphires:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102954&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

Powercolor has been so-so. I was checking out products from them for a while and they've been just ok. Honestly, MSI seems to be a really good card and has a great OC program (Afterburner) as well as information available for you. I think it's also factory over clocked. XFX, MSI, and for a while Sapphire were the great cards; but it seems Sapphire has lost it's luster. I saw those horrible reviews and it was quite a few against Sapphire.

If you can wait, the new AMD (Radeon) cards are coming out soon....7xxx series.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

Don't know if it's showing but; many were complaining about HIS's IceQ. I also inquired about it last month and one person replied that HIS are not as good as what you would think. Many were DOA'd or died within months.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

The MSI Twin Frozr III 2GB one is very popular. Then again, we could be weeks or a month away from seeing AMD's 7xxx.

brentkhack

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011

I have a Gigabyte 6950 2gb unlocked shaders and o.c.'ed with the duel bios switch.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
I heard about it but was looking in the old articles. Didn't see it/. Thanks for clearing that up, I thought Gigabyte did, I just couldnt find it. The 6970's apparently are also reference cards and have the "switch" also.

brentkhack

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011

Yea I won the $1k system builder from earlier this year, so Tom's already unlocked it. Glad I didnt have too. I will be interested soon to find a matching 6950 to CF with. Good luck.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

I heard that many were having trouble using the switch but then again it could be due to AMD's awesome drivers :whistle: .

Have you crossfired before? I was thinking about it!

brentkhack

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011

Never CF before, but still waiting a little while until the 6950 needs additional help with future games.