Failed 6950 to 6970 unlock. Need to flash it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack_of_steel

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
So I bought the 6950 because I was told I could unlock it to the 6970 model. When I tried this today, it didn't work and, to my dismay, I found that my card does not have the 2nd BIOS switch (I had no idea that only some of the cards had them).

I am at my brother's house and I have his 5750 in my main slot and my 6950 in the second slot so that I can see what I'm doing and try and flash it back to 6950. However, my computer won't boot past the "Starting Windows" screen and I have to boot in safe mode. In safe mode I cannot run ATIWinFlash or GPU-Z, so I have no idea what to do now.

System specs:
Case: Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Black Steel ATI Full Tower
Motherboard: ASUS M4A89TD PRO/USB3
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
CPU Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
GPU: XFX Raedon HD 6950
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 1600
PSU: Rosewill BRONZE Series RBR1000-M 1000W
HDD: 500 GB SATA 6G (6.0 Gb/sec) 7200 rpm

Kewlx25

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
FYI, the 6950 to 6970 only works for reference cards. If your card doesn't have a dual bios switch, it's not a reference card.

You should read up a bit more before doing flash hacks. That being said, I hope you get it fixed. It sounds like your cards works fine before the drivers get initialized. There is a good chance your 2D display works fine, but your 3D doesn't. Try safe mode?

zack_of_steel

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010

Yeah, I just read that about the reference cards. I had read quite a bit of information about flashing it and hadn't seen any mention about there being a difference. =/

I found a post by a guy with the exact same model that I have that got his to work, so I'm about to try it:

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2240773&postcount=2162

zack_of_steel

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010

It didn't work when I tried it. *shrug*

I followed the directions of what the other guy did, but when I tried loading my backed up BIOS it said the System IDs didn't match. I loaded the 6950 BIOS that came in the package from this site:

http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcard/159

It still doesn't work, however, and is exhibiting the same behavior that it did when it had the 6970 BIOS loaded. When I put the card in the primary slot and try and boot my motherboard has a red LED light that lights up. I don't have my manual with me, but I know that each light is supposed to light up once during a boot and then turn off. I suppose the light staying on means that there is a problem with the GPU.

Anyone have any ideas?

Mrsh4dy

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
Can you get your hands on a Mobo with intergrated graphics?
You could try putting the card on that mobo use the intergrated graphics for display and to get windows to boot up and then try to flash the card.
That to seems the only way you yourself could fix it.

zack_of_steel

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
Well, when I was at my brother's house I had both his 5750 and my 6950 in the one and two slots respectively and used ATIWinFlash. I flashed the 6950 with the 6950 BIOS, but it's still not working.

Also, my motherboard is detecting a problem with the card now. When I boot the red LED next to the GPU stays on, indicating a problem. Am I just screwed?

geekapproved

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
I don't now dude, I would go to the site and check the warranty terms for that card. Read all the fine print. Maybe in the manual or packaging that came with it too.

I'm willing to bet you can rma it if it won't even display video, cause they are probably just going to plug it in on a test bed and if they get no video they aren't going to bother finding out why.

zack_of_steel

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010

I think that I'm going to try fixing it and if I can't, I'll take a shot at an RMA.

I loaded whatever BIOS was in the download pack on this site:
http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcard/159

I tried using the backup of my BIOS that I made, but it said "Subsystem ID Mismatch" and wouldn't load. So instead I loaded the 6950 BIOS that came in the download pack. I think that if I can get my backup to load (no idea how), that it'll work again.

Carc369

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
I bought an XFX 6950.. .flashed it... saw a much better deal for the Powercolor a few days later.. bought it.. RMA'ed the XFX without flashing back and they took it.

Newegg btw.

geekapproved

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010

That's different than RMA'ing it with the manufacturer.

Newegg's return policy:

VGA Replacement Only Return Policy
Return for refund within: non-refundable
Return for replacement within: 30 days
Products that state "This item is covered by Newegg.com's Replacement Only 30-Day Return Policy", or items labeled as “Non-refundable” (or similar labeling) must be returned to Newegg within 30 days of the invoice date for this policy to apply. Products covered by this return policy may only be returned for a replacement of the same or equivalent item. “Return” constitutes receipt of the product by Newegg, and not the mere issuance of an RMA.

The following conditions are not acceptable for return, and will result in the merchandise you have returned to Newegg being returned to you:
Cards exhibiting physical damage
Cards that are missing the manufacturer label containing model number, part number or serial number
Cards that are missing the manufacturer warranty label
Cards returned without all included accessories, bonus games, and documentation

People like you who screw the system are what drives up prices and makes people like us, honest people, pay restocking fee's.

Carc369

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010

You sound upset.

Because I forgot to flash it back before returning it makes me a dishonest person?

Status
Not open for further replies.