No switch on my HD 6950 when unlock 6970 :(

newbier

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
guys,,

I have a graphic card HIS HD 6950,, and i tried to unlock that to 6970,,,, i regret,, when i tried to change BIOS,, with ati winflash,, I don't check the switch,, :cry: ,, and i'm looking that switch,, but there is no switch on my VGA card,, :cry:

i regret,,, i think,, this tutorial it's too simple,,

http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcard/159

but it's not,,

and now i have a dead VGA card,, and don't now how to my vga BIOS back,,

is there any hope ?? :cry:

neon neophyte

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2009
If you don't have a dual BIOS switch and you cannot boot up from the card, remove the card from your system, install it in a 2nd PCIe slot and install a working card in the first slot. You can then boot up from the first card. After you boot up, you can install the drivers for the 1st video card but not for the one that you just attempted to modify the BIOS on. Do not reboot if requested. Now follow steps 10-13 using the "original.bin" BIOS you saved and using "1" in place of "0" for the commands you type. The "1" is so that the 2nd card is flashed and not the 1st card which is not the one you wish to flash. Be very careful to use "1"s and not "0"s this time, because the card is no longer in the 1st PCIe slot.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Going to get a bit preachy here, but it's a lesson you seem to need. Feel free to disregard or not even read if you've already learned your lesson and aren't going to do this again.

I would very strongly recommend being much more careful in the future when you're following highly technical instructions that can potentially brick expensive electronics. You should have looked for the switch before you attempted this and killed your card. You should also have done a lot more research beforehand, it seems.

Always read the instructions entirely before you start, and look for problems people have. It takes about thirty seconds on Google (or simply reading some of the thread for the guide you linked) to find dozens of horror stories from people screwing this up and bricking their cards, as well as mentions of the numerous cards which don't have the switch. There's also a guide out there specifically for cards without switches, which you obviously didn't find or follow.

This is tricky stuff, don't just assume you can pull it off without trying. Recipe for disaster, as you've found out. Also, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess English isn't your first language.

I've really got to question the logic behind the decision to follow highly technical instructions in a language you don't speak that well. I could certainly muddle may way through a Spanish conversation with some strange looks and frustrated native speakers, but you'd never see me following Spanish instructions to make unofficial modifications to computer hardware. Misunderstanding a single word can be the difference between getting it right and getting a brick.

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
There were 2 things you did not read on that guide, or chose to ignore. That guide was written for reference models only, and it had a bios switch in the instructions, both of which does not pertain to you.

There are other instructions that can potentially work for you, but I'd advise against it as you already made a mistake following instructions, and most cards just don't unlock these days, anyway.