Unlock region on HL-DT-ST DVD RAM GH15L SCSI

edmac

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
Brother sent me a present of a bunch of BBC comedy disks from UK (Region 2). How can I play these without using up my 4-allowed region changes...can I input a code to change the DVD player to Region 0 as I have seen shown nonn other sites??

G

You can usually change the region code in the drive's properties -- Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager.

If you run out of permitted region code changes, updating or just reflashing the same firmware on the drive may clear the counter.

edmac

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
You can usually change the region code in the drive's properties -- Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager.

If you run out of permitted region code changes, updating or just reflashing the same firmware on the drive may clear the counter.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my query and offer your much appreciated suggestion.

I am down to two changes left on my region-change allotment so I tried to download and save the flash firmware you mentioned on to my desktop so that I would be ready for when the counter ran out ...have not been able to achieve this yet.

I notice you sent the Saltire, are you a Scots-person?

A coincidence, since the Region 2 disks I am trying to play here in Canada(region 1) are "Still Game", all episodes from 6-series, from BBC Scotland.

G

Fourth generation expatriot. Can't say I've actually heard of the programme you mention. There have been a few scots tv comedies that have crossed the border but the scottish sense of humour is a little different to the mainstream.

Not sure you need the firmware on desktop -- these updates used to run best with the computer booted from a DOS floppy disk to avoid conflicts -- maybe yours will run within Windows as newer ones seem to.

It is worth updating firmware on optical drives to ensure compatibility with media but read the instructions very carefully -- for example with some you have to ensure there is no disk in the drive.