MA790XT-UD4P + bios used to unlock 4th core on 720BE?

Summer Leigh Castle

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
Which bios is used to enable the 4th core on the 720? Currently at F3 and ACC doesn't seem to do anything.

The 720BE that I'm using ran stable @ 3500 across 4 cores (4Hrs of OCCT and prime95) on an AM2+ Asrock motherboard.

UPDATE w/ ANSWER: Tested all available bios --> F2B = Unstable.

UPDATE (7/3/09): Latest bios --> F4G = Win! You're the best Gigabyte!

Summer Leigh Castle

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
@r_manic No one in the thread is running my motherboard. :(

@evongugg Article suggest only Asrock and Biostar are left with unlockable 4th core bios.

I'll do more searching. Thought gigabyte forum had a quick answer.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
From my understanding, unlocking a 4th core was only achieved on the 790GX chipset, not the 790X. Interesting you managed to do it. But, is it stable???

Summer Leigh Castle

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009

Only difference between the GX and X chipset is the lack of onboard video so I doubt the HD3300 would affect enabling the 4th core.

Bad news is that the 4th core is not stable with the F2B bios on this AM3 motherboard. I don't know what's wrong really. My previous AM2+ Asrock AOD790GX/128M motherboard ran perfectly fine with the 4th core enabled. I was able to push the 4x cores to a staggering 3.5ghz with just 1.40v. I suspect an immature "beta" bios but I'm not sure. :(

ocre

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
I that sucks. I think the only AM3 board that can unlock the phenom 2s is the ASRock M3A790GXH/128M. I searched and searched all over the net for an am3 board that would and that was the only verified board i could find. I ordered one myself but it wont be here till wednesday to check my 720. I may be wrong but I dont think your board is ever gonna support it as AMD has told all their motherboard manufactures to not allow this anymore. They are making these boards under AMD licenses and to specs so its not likely they would want to go against their call. So there are still older bios versions that are available that allow this. The am2+ have many more board options that can do it. As for am3, which came right as AMD was pushing the stop button, there isnt much if any. But i did find that AM3 asrock above menchioned still can unlock with the original released bios which is still available for download at their site. Its probably not gonna be installed on any board that has left asrock in the last 2 months but you can flash it. Here is the 2nd page from what evongugg post. It also verifies the asrock am3
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/unlock-phenom-ii,2273-2.html

So I couldnt find any other am3 board verified posted or reported anywhere on the net. And i looked for hours. So if you or anyone else can verify another am3 board that will unlock phenom2s then please do let me know