770TA-UD3: ACC disables itself after reboot.

GrahamSX

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
Hello,

I'm having a problem with my GA-770TA-UD3. I'm trying to unlock my Athlon II X3 445 and I've set the EC Firmware to Hybrid, and then set the ACC to auto. However, every time I reboot ACC disables itself and I'm not sure why.

I've looked around various forums/etc to see if others are having a similar problem (and others are), though I've been unable to figure/find out a solution.

Note I'm not a tech junkie when it comes to things like this, so please take note when offering suggestions/advice. :p

Thanks!

GrahamSX

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
That's what I'm wondering, however when I google'd "motherboard acc disabled/disables", my 770TA-UD3 showed up a bunch so I don't know if its a bug/problem with the motherboard itself, or if it's my motherboard protecting me from a defective core.

bilbat

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2008
Lmeow's guess would be mine, too - at startup, the BIOS 'polls' everything - pretty much says: "are you all present and accounted for?" - anybody 'don't show up for work', we proceed without 'em! Though the ACC is shrouded in mystery, I have a pseudocoded doc on the AGESA start-up routine that may shed a little light, but I can't see getting to it before Sunday at the earliest - two 4"+ floods in one week here, basement leak, and a garage sale Sat!

GrahamSX

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
[strike]I'm not sure if this will help, but I've noticed that after I've reset the ACC settings back to auto and restarted the system, upon attempting to enter the BIOS again causes my keyboard/BIOS? to freeze up, disabling me from doing anything. It's not until a few restarts/reboots later (it seems random, haven't quite figured out the rhythm yet) in which I can once again keyboard around my BIOS window, revealing my ACC back in the disabled position.
[/strike]
:??:

Figured out it was due to something with my USB keyboard. When I switched over to a ps/2 keyboard, the keyboard no longer froze when entering the BIOS.

Also, upon further investigation:

If EC Firmware is set to Normal, the ACC settings will stick beyond a reboot.
If EC Firmware is set to Hybrid, the ACC settings will disable themselves almost always. (I noticed that I could get "auto" to stick after every second reboot, but after fully loading the system and returning to the bios, they were reset to disabled.)

Edit #2:
Appears my South Bridge chipset is having an identity crisis. While EVEREST Ultimate is claiming It's a SB750, CPU-Z claims it's a SB700 all while it's supposed to be a SB710 as said by Gigabyte. :??:

Edit #3:
It seems that the GA-770TA-UD3 comes up a bunch when searching for this issue in Google. I figured I would contact Gigabyte customer service to see if they could give me some straight answers, but much to my displeasure they simply told me along the lines of "overclocking is not supported, can't guarantee stability, cant verify processor compatibility..." :sarcastic:

About ready to throw in the towel since no one seems to know the answer & either give up on trying to unlock or just look into exchanging for a different motherboard.