MSI 770-G45 w/ phenom II 555 BE can't unlock all cores

chuckles021

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
Hello,
I am attempting to unlock additional cores of my phenom II 555 BE. After turning core unlock on and acc to auto in bios, my system will not boot, have to reset mobo with clear cmos jumper. Done this several times trying various tweakings but no luck. Any help is graciously appreciated. I am a total novice but can follow instructions if someone can help. thanks, cs

T_T

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
The ability to "unlock" cores isn't always possible. While the PII 555 BE has hidden cores, in some CPU's the cores are defects, thus the hiding. A few years ago, there wasn't a large market for quad core CPU's, but they were largely manufactured. In an effort to not waste the good lots of quad cores that weren't selling, AMD decided to lock two of the cores and sell the quad core chips as dual.

The reason you're unable to "unlock" your hidden cores could be that you have a chip from the bad lots. Also finding a PII X2 BE that can turn into a X4 is slim, since the real quad core CPUs are in demand... for now.

The procedure is as simple as adjusting the ACC in your BIOS.

chuckles021

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
Thanks for the response. I bought this chip from Newegg and most of the buyers that left feedback for this chip claim to have unlocked it to a quad, with a few saying one core was unstable so they run it as tri-core. After researching the net with phrases like 'unlocking phenom II 555 be' I have found a lot of info on it. It is quite posiible to unlock the extra cores if your particular chip will cooperate. Mine doesn't seem to be cooperating and I was wondering if it was something I was doing wrong. I am still looking for a solution if I can find it.

jaquith

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
^ Then you have a problem, that CPU is not being "fully" supported meaning; it will sort of work. The BIOS dummies down unrecognized CPU, so until your CPU appears in the MSI link I provided your CPU's potential is bing dragged in the mud.

If someone is running your exact {HDZ555WFGMBOX} with your 770-G45 MOBO then it is a Beta BIOS.

chuckles021

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009

In core control, I have option to set cores 1 thru 4, then to choose a percentage from a range -2% thru +12% I tried this setting cores 1,2, and 3 to +10% and leaving core 4 at default -2% Machine won't post, have to reset cmos I haven't tried cores 1,2, and 4 yet. I wonder if there's any use. My cores must be unlockable.