Asus core unlocker feature discontinued?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcopolo112000

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009
Hey guys,

I have an Asus M4A87TD Evo which has been another great Asus board for me. Unlike my purchase of one of the short-lived XFX boards which was a mistake I bought for my htpc build. That board has finaly annoyed me to the point of pushing me back into shopping for another new board.

One of my favorite features on the Asus board is the turbo unlocker. It took my PhenomX3 720 from 2.8ghz X3 to 3.2ghz x4 in one click. I mean, let's face it, overclocking is fun for about 5 minutes and then it's tedium! :) Getting this kind of upgrade in performance for one click is pretty sweet.

Anyway, I'm browsing the new Asus boards on Newegg and I notice that none of the new M5A(AM3+) boards have the Core unlocker feature. It can only be found on some of the M4A(AM3) boards.

Anybody know why they aren't offering it on the AM3+ boards? Or is the core unlocker there, but just not being advertised?

Thanks!

marcopolo112000

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009
Seems strange that they go from advertising it as a massive perk, to not even mentioning the capability! I guess i'll just have to wait for reviews to ensure that whatever I'm interested in will have the unlock function.

Unlocking cores is about the only thing keeping AMD competitive at this point, if it wasn't was for the prospect of unlocking at 960T to six cores, it would be sandy bridge all the way...I know it's a gamble, but I was always a surprise bag kinda kid. ;)

marcopolo112000

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009
Ha!Ha!

I go back to newegg today to rebrowse the AM3+ Asus boards and what do you know....a bunch of them now have core unlocker advertised in the top green banner in list view and they've added it to the features list also!

Big brother is apparently watching.... :ouch:

"Just because they really are out to get you doesn't mean you aren't paranoid."

nikorr

Distinguished

: ))

Status
Not open for further replies.