Unlock 4 core to 6 core

Status
Not open for further replies.

purple stank

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
I thought it was only a rumor that the new Phenom ii x4 970 and 975 could unlock to 6 cores.I did some research and it appears that only the OEM models can?I guess thats a server processor?
On MSI's new mobo the 890FXA-GD65 it lists as one of the features...

Boost system performance (*Result may vary according to different CPU core quality and stability.)
Help user to unlock hidden CPU Core quickly Freely choose lock or unlock CPU Core(s) Easy to upgrade system performance
Specially support 4-core to 6-core CPU unlock

What do they mean then about unlocking 4 core to 6 core if the 970 and 975 cannot unlock?

Mobo specs.
http://us.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=171&prod_no=2086

jaquith

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
Your guess is better than mine. It would be cool if all the 4-cores had this! ;)

Sadly, I don't think this is the case, but most of the 3-cores can be unlocked.

It would be nice to find a table that had this info...

JJF9210

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
Here is the scoop guys you take a AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition and the On MSI's new mobo the 890FXA-GD65. Its only a duo but AMD has stopped making duo CPUs all CPU are made quad and they only test two make sure two of them are functioning as they should,and sell it as a duo. If you buy one of the unlocking motherboards (there are more then the one mentioned) And buy and AMD duo core and put it in a mother board and unlock possible 2 more cores that were never tested. So you have the possibility of saving a little money in making a new computer that will run faster. All I have got to say is that its possible to get four working cores when you only paid for to and it should run faster.

JJF9210

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
Here is the scoop guys you take a AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition and the On MSI's new mobo the 890FXA-GD65. Its only a duo but AMD has stopped making duo CPUs all CPU are made quad and they only test two make sure two of them are functioning as they should,and sell it as a duo. If you buy one of the unlocking motherboards (there are more then the one mentioned) And buy and AMD duo core and put it in a mother board and unlock possible 2 more cores that were never tested. So you have the possibility of saving a little money in making a new computer that will run faster. All I have got to say is that its possible to get four working cores when you only paid for to and it should run faster.

ankit1103

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
Some 970 BE's and 980 BE's can be unlocked to six cores.

Here is a small debate for it..

It is terminology and the key word is "some". The processors did not perform up to specs. That's why they disabled the cores. It wasn't 1 core that made the chip not pass. Disabling 1 core made it a tri-core that passed the 720 minimum specs. It does not mean they are defective but we are talking in words. If they work, they are not defective. Plain and simple.

Intel did something similar years ago. At this point, I am not saying they are or are not defective. Its an interpretation but if you unlock the 4th core and it works does that mean it was defective? Nope! when they tested them at AMD and they did not pass specs, they disable a core thus making it a tri-core. In most cases the 4th core works. Again is it defective???? Nope, maybe it wouldn't clock at the spec core frequency, but when they lock the 4th core it did. So saying this, unlocking the 4th works at least 90% of the time if not more.

It really is not worthless information. I fully read the explanation years ago when AMD first did this and someone "labelled" them as defective but as you attest, some are not defective!

I got an unlucky 940. Mine barely is stable at 3.7GHz(while others get higher). I cannot get higher but the chip passed the minimum spec for 940 so they released it as a 940. Chips that do not pass min requirements as advertised are thrown as a 720 tri core with 1 core locked. This does not mean the core is defective, it means the chip did not pass min req. advertised frequency. Again, the 4th core works and it is not defective.

Anytime you disable a core, you can clock the chip much higher. I locked 2 cores on my 940 and clocked it to 3.91GHz stable. I guess I have a 550 now? LOL but my 4 cores are not defective.

With all this in mind, someone at AMD made a great strategy. Instead of wasting those chips, they did what was explained above and saved the company a lot of money or maybe I should say made the company a lot more $ with these subpar chips. Some actually overclock very nicely and hang with the 940 with the 4th core enabled.

If they would have released these chips that were even close to 940 specs, they would have had a reputation nightmare. Making them 720's was very smart.

They also did this with the original Phenoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.