Need a Motherboard for core unlocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lazar_99

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Hi guys. I need a motherboard that can unlock Athlon II X3's 4th core and L3 cache. I was thinking of getting the Gigabyte GA-780T-D3L, can it unlock cores successfully and what chances of success are there?

Solution
Unlocking the 4th core on your CPU won't do much at all to increase the performance of your CPU in relationship to the video card you have. You simply need a better CPU.

o1die

Distinguished
May 16, 2001
Download the manual of the Gigabyte board and look for an acc setting. You can set it to auto or enable it. If the board won't post, you'll have to reset the bios using the cmos jumper or remove the board battery for one minute with the power supply unplugged. If the board won't post, it means the cpu won't run with the unlocked core; I have two sempron 140 cpus; both have bad second cores that won't run unlocked. If you want four cores, then I would get a four core cpu. But honestly, most applications won't even use the three cores you already have.

Lazar_99

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012

Actually i need a quad core CPU because its bottlenecking my Radeon HD 6850

o1die

Distinguished
May 16, 2001
Newegg has the phenom II 955 oem for $105; see if your old board supports it and figure the hassle and price difference of changing the board and gambling on the fourth core unlocking versus installing a new cpu. Your old heatsink should be fine with the phenom II is you don't overclock.

Lazar_99

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012

Yes i was thinking about getting either the 955 or the 960T. But they both come with stock coolers which are better than the one i have on my Athlon II

Status
Not open for further replies.