Getting a new AXP1800, dont want to unlock

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Well, after frying my 1700+, I just ordered an 1800+. Now a few questions come to mind. Without unlocking the multiplier, what kind of stable OC can I get on an ABIT KG7? My last cpu was OC'd to a 1900+, and my temps were ok on a swiftek heatsink w/ copper base. I have been able to get the FSB up to 141 and boot into XP Pro (I am also thinking of modding the retail XP heatsink for my Mobo to replace the existing northbridge fan/heatsink). I have also heard that adding a heatsink to the chip that regulates the clock speed will help in OCing with the fsb. This true?

I do not know if it will be the original color or one of those new green ones. Any difference between the 2?

I really dont want to blow another processor. So I am iffy on OCing this one, but Im a performance junkie. I feel the need for speed (and the cost of performance).

Once I thought, then I <A HREF="http://www.warroom.com" target="_new">learned</A>

Pwent

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2002
Now a few questions come to mind. Without unlocking the multiplier, what kind of stable OC can I get on an ABIT KG7?

Stock HSF can get you around 150 or so FSB(not quite stable that high, not for me at least). Get a good HSF combo and you can do it a bit better a bit safer.

I do not know if it will be the original color or one of those new green ones. Any difference between the 2?

Paint. :D

I really dont want to blow another processor. So I am iffy on OCing this one, but Im a performance junkie. I feel the need for speed (and the cost of performance).

You should have no trouble with stock HSF getting to 1900+ again. Get a better HSF combo and you might even reach 2100+, but the chip itself doesn't like to go much higher without unlocking the multiplier, and then it still only goes so high.

<font color=black>Need Money!! Accepting Donations to help better my future. Thanks!</font color=black>

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
2100+ is good enough for me. :smile: As for my heatsink, I plan on selling the stock one or putting it on my friends PIII 800mhz so we can OC it. I got a Swiftech MCXC-370, Figure I can go pretty high with that (had my 1700+ running at 1.64ghz). I got a 60mm delt fan on it right now, but might move to a suno9n when I get some cash.

Once I thought, then I <A HREF="http://www.warroom.com" target="_new">learned</A>