Mnx4

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2001
hey, recently i've tried to unlock my brown athlon xp 1900+ processor. I filled the gaps, and put on conductive grease, and i inspected it and it looked like all the bridges were crossed properly, but i can't change the multiplier. Should i just wipe it clean and clean out the gaps and start all over? also what would happen if the lines of conductive grease were to touch? I don't know if this information will help, but if i don't manually set the multiplier to 12x, the booting screen in my bios says Athlon XP 1700+... weird...

Specs:
athlon xp1900+
Epox 8k3a+
geforce4 ti4400
pc 3000 ram 256MB

Thanks

Time is the best teacher... unfortunatly, it kills all of its students.

CMRvet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
I filled the gaps, and put on conductive grease
What kind of conductive “grease” are you using?

also what would happen if the lines of conductive grease were to touch?
The unlocking would not work.

I don't know if this information will help, but if i don't manually set the multiplier to 12x, the booting screen in my bios says Athlon XP 1700+... weird...
How did you change the multiplier if it’s locked? :smile:

GearJammer2513

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2002
Try using conductive paint instead of grease. The grease may have a higher resistance that is keeping the chip from registering an unlocked state. Go to an automotive store and ask for a rear window defogger repair kit. Use a pin/needle or a toothpick (sharpened with a knife) to apply the paint. That should work better than the grease you are using. BTW, when you say grease, do you mean you are using Artic Silver 2? Save that stuff for the CPU/HSF contact surface.

GearJammer

qlm tera'ngan!
(Translated from Klingon: Attention Earther!)

Mnx4

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2001
I can actually set my multiplier in the bios to 12x... If i put it to automatic, it registers as an XP1700..
Also, when i say conductive grease, what i did was buy one of those kits from www.highspeedpc.com ... I heard they sometimes didn't work, but only after purchasing the stuff... I have some arctic silver 3 but i didn't use that for unlocking.

Smokey

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2002
Lol, I had similar results my first try. Your kit worked fine (I used rear window defogger) because the grease will work. The problem is that some of your L1's bridges are touching that SHOULDN'T be, giving you the 1700 reading. As annoying as it is (Maybe I'm mildly incompetent, but THG 30 minutes my ass! Took me hours because man that stuff runs under the masking) take off and reapply clean.

Why are you upset though, you got the 1700 multiplier! Crank that FSB.

Life's a hole...dig it. - Joe Dirt

Mnx4

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2001
this is true... now how do i go about unfilling the gaps? i know acetone is good, but should i dig out the gap filling stuff or what?

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
clean all the gaps & get out the cpu all the the conductive material (i believe here is some grease) to eliminate all possible shortcuts in the L1 bridge.
then reinsert your cpu on the mb to be sure it works again correctly as a xp1900+
after try again the same unlock manipulation minutely to avoid wrong contacts.

<i>if <b>you know</b> <font color=white>you don't know</font color=white>, the way could be more easy ...

Mnx4

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2001
Lab i followed your instructions to the "t" and it worked.. Thanks so much to everyone who've asnwered.

Odd words of wisdom for cleaning the CPU: A toothbrush doesn't clean just teeth...

CMRvet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
************* <font color=red>CONGRATS</font color=red> *****************

you have saved a lot of money for the future. (not kidding)

<b>(<font color=yellow>as good as it looks</font color=yellow>)</b>

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
nill.

<i>if <b>you know</b> <font color=white>you don't know</font color=white>, the way could be more easy ...