asus a7a 266 multiplier unlock

JP_MIGRAINE

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
i have been trying to set my multiplier in the bios for days now. and have many problems,i got three different stories form asus tech support one had me update my bios from 1.004 to 1.06 and then to 1011. now the last one tells me it cant be done. you can only do it with pcb 1.10. i am kinda new to setting up and overclocking pc's so i am not sure what the difference between the pcb and bios is.any way if there is any one out there that knows how i can get my multiplier to work please help. i am now using1011 bios on the asus a7a 266 with an amd athlon 1ghz cpu and i ahve jioned the l1 bridges on it.

psykoikonov

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
My brother has this MB. First you need to unlock your processor (if you haven't done this search for it in this forum). Next you need to know whether your motherboard has a 4 switch box or 10 (don't know the technical terms), it is blue in color and is in the bottom right corner of your MB (if it's mounted in the case). If it's 10 move the last switch (bottom) to the other side (sorry for the lack of technical terms), if it's 4 you must connect the 10th node via solder and cable. If you search around or look in your MB manual it will yeild more info.

:eek: who needs heatsinks and fans I have an igloo :eek:

JP_MIGRAINE

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
thats ok i know what you mean, its the dip swithces you are talking about and i have set dip switch ten to the on position. but for some strange reason i still cant get the multiplier to work. and i have jioned the L1 bridges together so i dont understand what is keeping the multiplier grayed out.. thanks for helping though.

psykoikonov

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
What did you use to connect the L1 bridges, took my brother 4 tries, 3 with 4B pencil and finally with conductive grease. After that he could change the # no prob. If the multiplier is grayed and not black than the proccesor is locked.

:eek: who needs heatsinks and fans I have an igloo :eek:

JP_MIGRAINE

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
hhmm ,i used a #2 pencil. i thought it worked cause now when i go to the cpy internal frequency option i get manuel 1400 1050

i was geting manuel 750 1000 . so i thought that was some kind of unlock thing happening there..when i get more artic silver3 i will take a look at the cpu one more time and maybe use what you said conductive grease..
thanks for helping out...

psykoikonov

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
I would recommend conductive ink, a 6* magnifying glass and a steady hand.
I don't recall seeing the internal frequency adjustment, is it in your bios??

:eek: Who needs heatsinks and fans, I have an igloo :eek: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by psykoikonov on 08/08/02 02:00 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

psykoikonov

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
It took me awhile to find this post, I was corrected elsewhere in this forum. I have edited my post. Artic silver3 is a thermal conductive paste for use between CPU's and Heatsinks, not to be used as I stated.

:eek: Who needs heatsinks and fans, I have an igloo :eek: