gobeavers

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
Why would you want to unlock the lower multipliers on Athlon XP's, wouldn't that just make the highest possible clock speed lower?

Jazzycribj

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2003
When you are overclocking you're basically playing around with FSB and/or multipliers. When you increase FSB, you're oc-ing both the cpu and the memory. While that may be easier than increasing multipliers, it puts stress on both the cpu and other components. That's where the multipliers come in - by lowering the multipliers, it put less stress on cpu and at the same time, you can achieve higher FSB. Hope that helps!

TheMASK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
<b>When you increase FSB</b>, you're oc-ing both the cpu and the memory. While that may be easier than increasing multipliers, <b>it puts stress on both the cpu and other components<b>.

Now Read this....

by lowering the multipliers, <b>it put less stress on cpu and at the same time, you can achieve higher FSB<b>.

Jazzycrib....either way u r increasing the FSB, so, the CPU is stressed or not?? :wink:

<b><font color=red>The statement below is true.</font color=red></b>
<b><font color=blue> The statement above is false.</font color=blue></b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheMask on 06/19/03 03:56 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

gobeavers

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
sorry if I am stupid, but if increasing the fsb puts stress on other components, why not just increase the multiplier so it wouldn't put stress on the components? Then, you would not need the lower multipliers.

svol

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2001
With FSB OC'ing you get more performance because you also increase memory speeds.

My CPU fan spins so fast that it creates a wormhole :eek:

gobeavers

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
yeah, but if you have the higher multipliers, why would you want the lower since you can just raise the fsb to make it a higher clock? In Maximum PC it said "Thouroghbred B and Barton CPUs, however, require a bit more tinkering to unlock the lower multiplier settings you need for overclocking." Why do you need the lower settings if raising the fsb will overclock?

svol

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2001
Well if you want to best eprformance and your mobo and memory support high FSBs you wqant to get the highest FSB possible first. If you reach the CPUs maximum speed before you got to the max FSB lowering the multiplier can give you more room to OC.

Lets take a little example:
You got a CPU with 15x multiplier that runs at 100MHz FSB, but you want it to run at 200 MHz FSB... at 2500MHz you reach the highest possible CPU OC. So with 12.5x200 you will get maximum CPU and FSB OC.

smitbret

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
The problem people used to run into was data corruption on hard drives when the FSB was increased too much and it didn't run in synch with the IDE bus. Is that a thing of the past? I haven't heard anyone really complain about it lately.
-Brett

speeduk

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
That was when the pci/agp bus' were overclocked too causing data corruption to occur. I once overclocked a 233mhz pentium to 300mhz and got it to boot into windows and it didnt shut down properly the last time so it ran scandisk, then the poor hard drive was completely corrupt.

New motherboards lock the pci and agp bus' to their proper setting, regardless of what the fsb is set to.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=945569" target="_new"> MY RIG </A>
<font color=red> 120% overclocker </font color=red> (cheapskate)

svol

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2001
It is still there more and more mobo's lock the PCI and AGP speed. And due to the smaller dividers and higher FSB support with appropriate divider you don't run into PCI problems that fast.