How do you unlock your CPU to overclock?

Przybocki

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2007
Yep, I'm a noob. Not when it comes to computers, but I have never overclocked.

I have the Athlon dual core 6000 processor, and read about people overclocking it quite a bit. I looked in the bios and it doesn't let me change the multipliers for OC'ing. I have the Asus M2N-SLI (I think that's it, I'm at work right now and can't tell) Mainboard.

Any suggestions/help? It's probably somewhere in the multitudes of threads here, but I haven't found it yet, so I thought I'd ask in a new post.

If someone can get me started in the right direction, and recommend how much overclocking I should do without going overboard. I do have great cooling in my system (1-120mm fan, 2-140mm fans, and 4-80mm fans). Plus the MB has a small fan blowing straight at the CPU fan and cooler, so I think I can crank it up a few notches (safely).

nzxtlexa

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2007
hi Przybocki,

as far as i am aware, the X2 6000+ has a locked mulitplier and therefor the only way to overclock it is to change the FSB (front side bus).

Someone may correct me if I'm wrong but I think its locked

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

You are right but just for clarification.. AMD does not have a FSB.

AMD uses a Hypertransport Link which runs at a multiplier of the System Clock/Bus Speed. Looking for a FSB option in the AMD BIOS might end up being a goose chase. :kaola: